56' or 60' NOS Custom Stratocaster..

Dylan61

Never had the chance to compare these two,

both would be fine I gess, but how different are they in sound?

Kelsey

The 56 is brighter and snappier with tighter lows compared to the 60. So, the 60 is warmer and darker sounding with looser/less distinct lows, but maybe with a bit more high end presence. The 56 pickups seem a little hotter with a touch more mids. Now this observation is based on my one and only 60 and a couple of 56's, most of which had ash bodies. Nevertheless, I think it is generally true.

Perhaps even more noticeable than the difference in sound, these two Strat have entirely different necks. The 60 has a slim C profile with slab rosewood fingerboard, whereas the 56 has a large soft V or boatneck profile (soft V to C transition, starting around the 5th to 7th frets) and is one piece of maple. Both necks feel great, but I wish the depth of the 60 neck (approx 0.81" @ 1st fret to 0.93" @ 12th fret) was closer to the 56 neck (approx 0.88" or 0.90" @ 1st fret to 0.98" or 1.00" @ 12th fret).

stratman89

Silver Supporting Member
Kelsey's description of the two guitars was bang on to what Bruce from Wildwood Guitars described. For that reason I chose a '60 NOS Stratocaster from Wildwood with a 9.5" radius. This guitar is simply amazing, I'm totally happy with my first Custom Shop Strat that I got week ago.

Dylan61

Perhaps even more noticeable than the difference in sound, these two Strat have entirely different necks. The 60 has a slim C profile with slab rosewood fingerboard, whereas the 56 has a large soft V or boatneck profile (soft V to C transition, starting around the 5th to 7th frets) and is one piece of maple.

Both necks feel great, but I wish the depth of the 60 neck (approx 0.81" @ 1st fret to 0.93" @ 12th fret) was closer to the 56 neck (approx 0.88" or 0.90" @ 1st fret to 0.98" or 1.00" @ 12th fret).
Ive measured my USA Strat, its almost the same as the '60, only a 9.5 inch radius.

I gess also the 7.25 could make a difference in a slimmer feeling?

CS'56

Ive measured my USA Strat, its almost the same as the '60, only a 9.5 inch radius.

I gess also the 7.25 could make a difference in a slimmer feeling?
I would think the 9.5 would feel slimmer than the 7.25. The flatter radius doesn't have as much of a hump.

VRob98

Kelsey's description of the two guitars was bang on to what Bruce from Wildwood Guitars described. For that reason I chose a '60 NOS Stratocaster from Wildwood with a 9.5" radius. This guitar is simply amazing, I'm totally happy with my first Custom Shop Strat that I got week ago.

Great color choice too! :AOK

Trending Topics