'57-'59 Fender P Bass. What are the differences??

Discussion in 'Bass Area; The Bottom Line' started by gi doc, Feb 10, 2012.

1. gi doc

gi doc Member

I've been playing and collecting guitars, amps, and to some extent basses for many years now. I'm mainly a guitar player, but pick up the bass periodically. I have vintage '65 Fender Jazz Bass that I love. However, I've always wanted one of those late 50's P-basses with the anodized pickguard. Could somebody with vintage knowledge tell me all of the differences that happened to the P-bass during the '57-'59 period. I know they went from a 2-tone burst to a 3-tone burst in the late spring of '58. I have heard the neck is different on all 3 years, and have heard that the '58 has the best neck?? My hands are "large", but I don't have long fingers so I certainly don't want a baseball bat for a neck. Just needing all of the info before I make a purchase. Thanks in advance.

2. musicofanatic5

musicofanatic5 Supporting Member

I would call myself a devout student of the evolution oif the Fender bass and I am not familiar with neck shapes/sizes being different, specific to the year. I know of the fifties, big-headstock basses being mostly V shaped, but widely varying, and not corresponding any pattern asssignable more to the year. They eventually got flattened out on the back once the RW fingerboard was standardized. If anything, the neck girth may have been gradually reduced through the first two-three big headstock years. The only additional change ocurring from '57-
    59 was the raised A string p.u. pole pieces were gone by '59

I would be surprised to learn of you making such a purchase without an in-person examination, or a pre-arranged option to return it if the neck is unsuitable. Most knoiwledgable sellers (as you know, the best place to buy something like this, unless it's for fifty bucks!) can provide dimensional details on the neck. I owned a '52 for a while and currently play a '61. While I have examined and played many, I have not yet owned a mapleneck, split-p.u. Peebass...yet!

Get a custom colored one!!

3. gi doc

gi doc Member

I didn't now about the raised A string p.u. pole piece. Tell me more?......does that affect the volume of that string? I have heard that there were a few of these that came out with "dead spots' on a few of the necks. I always have a return policy set up for these types of transactions. I'm trying to get some neck measurements too. I'd love a custom colored one, but the prices of those that I've seen are out of my league I'm afraid..............I think I saw one recently for 18K.....a blonde one. Thanks!