57 Classic in Neck vs. SD Jazz

mrsongbird

Kicking around the idea of replacing the stock 57 Classic in the neck of my Les Paul Traditional Pro with a Seymour Duncan Jazz. Am I crazy?

57 sounds good, but a little dark- I've adjusted height and played with each settings, but I'm just wondering if the Jazz would be a general improvement.

I'm pretty happy with the BurstBucker 3 in the bridge. Would that pair well with the Jazz?

I'm looking for Beatles/Stones/Zeppelin tones, I guess!

Should I just leave well enough alone? Anyone care to weigh in?

Lewguitar

The 57 will be warmer (less edge to the treble) and seem to have more mids than the Jazz.

The Jazz will seem brighter and more clear (less midrange) and more present.

I prefer an old Duncan 59n with a roughcast A5 magnet. Or a new 59n with the polished A5 magnet replaced by a roughcast A5 to either the '57 or the Jazz.

Last edited:

metropolis_4

I've never played them side by side to compare, but my hunch is that the jazz is going to have more clarity and top end to it. I'm not sure it's going to be a drastic change though.

It's probably going to become one of those "only your ears can tell which you prefer" things

bgmacaw

I've got guitars with both the Jazz and the '59 but they're either Strat-oids or semi-hollows so I don't know how they would sound in a LP. Basically, like others mentioned, the Jazz will be a bit clearer and more articulate and the '59 will be a touch warmer. But the difference won't be huge in most cases.

mrsongbird

Haven't really tried messing with the pole pieces in the 57 Classic. Are they responsive to that?

Trending Topics

Top Bottom