'57 classic plus...how do these sound in an LP?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by sabbath90, Mar 4, 2006.

1. sabbath90

sabbath90 Member

i need some cheaper pickups for my les paul classic as i hate the super hot ceramics that are in it now. i can't go with WCR or anything for this guitar so i'm looking at a 57 classic/classic plus combo. how does the plus sound? is there anything in the overwound PAF class that's in a similiar price range that's better? thanks.

2. jpage

jpage Silver Supporting Member

I'm more of a fan of the BB Pros, but the '57 classics are still a great LP pickup IMO

3. mailman

mailman Member

I, too, didn't care for the harshness/brightness of the stock 496R/500T pups and replaced with straight '57 Classics in both slots (no Classic-plus, as it is still to bright for MY style/preference). BIG DIFFERENCE! Much smoother, yet still plenty of bite in the bridge position. I know there are other excellent replacement pickups, but I'm happy with the 57's.:) If I remember correctly, they ran about $90 each.

4. paintguy

paintguy Long Hair Hippy Freak Silver Supporting Member

I put them in a 1989 1959' reissue Les Paul and hated them. Very bright and brittle in the bridge position. Sounded fine in the neck.

I took them out put them in a recently acquired SG and they sound great. Go figure? I can't figure it out.:D

Maybe the all mahogany versus the maple/mahogany body.

Oh yeah, mine are regular 57' classics, not 57' classic plus.

5. riffpowers

riffpowers Member

57 classics are my favourite HB's

6. Marty s Horne

Marty s Horne Member

I have them in my Les Paul Elegant and they sound great. Fat and warm with some nice high end chime. No mud and no brittle tones ie what a vintage style humbucker should sound like.

7. GTRJoe

GTRJoe Supporting Member

I tried a 57 Classic Plus in the bridge position of my RI Goldtop. I found it to be just a bit too dark. So I'm back to the stock 57 Classic that came in that guitar.

8. The Golden Boy

The Golden Boy Member

I liked them in both positions of my old 97 R8. I like the one in the neck of my 98 R8, but not in the bridge. I like them in both positions of my 01 R8. I remember when the discussion about these on the LPF and the consensus was they were too "ice-picky." I think I felt that way about the bridge in my 98- but I've really been toying with the idea of switching it back in.

To recap my meandering... Out of the 3 guitars I've had the 57 Classics in, I have liked them in the neck positions of all 3 guitars, and have liked them in the bridge positions of 2 of the guitars. At the time I felt one guitar didn't like the 57 in the bridge- but I'm interested in trying it again.

9. keith_t4e

keith_t4e Member

I have the classic/ classic + in my paul and love it. The only other pup I would consider is the Rio BBQ. I will tell you that I am wanting to try a Dimarzio Virtual PAF Hot in something.

10. sabbath90

sabbath90 Member

thanks for the replies. i'm probably going to look around for some used ones and failing that go get some pearly gates. the stock pups in this guitar are really god awful. i like the regular '57 a lot, so i'm guessing i'll like the plus in the bridge. it'll be nice to having something with more bite than the darkburst/crossroad set in my R8 from time to time. thanks.

11. AaeCee

AaeCee Member

More bite? As others have suggested, go with Burstbucker 1 neck and 2 bridge. More bite and output than 57s, but the 57s ARE sweet as well. AC

12. sabbath90

sabbath90 Member

really i meant more bite in relation to the wagners which are very smooth. really great sounding but very smooth. i think the '57s will give me a nice bit of output, a big thick tone, but not too smooth for a decent price, basically.

13. rockinlespaul

rockinlespaul Member

I just pulled the stock '57 Classics out of my '01 R8 the other day.
    PM me if your interested in them...thanks.

14. Danny G

Danny G Guest

The 57 Classic is my *favorite* neck PU. Warm, clean, chimey and smooooooth.

I put one in the bridge position, but it's not meaty enough for me.