'57 Classic Plus p'up in SG Std?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Guitar & Bass Technical Discussion' started by bscepter, May 23, 2006.

1. bscepter

bscepter Member

I think I want a new bridge pickup for my SG Standard. I've got a BurstBucker Pro in there, but it's a little too trebly for my taste. I'd like a little more output and a little warmer tone, so I'm thinking a '57 Classic Plus (AlNiCo II vs AlNiCo V).

However, my BB pro wasn't cheap, and I was wondering if it would work in the neck position, replacing the stock 496R (or whatever it is). Or should I keep the stock p'up (which sounds pretty good, actually) and sell the BB Pro?

Any input would be appreciated...

BTW, I'm playing it through a cranked Hayseed (AC30 clone).

2. Calloway

Calloway Supporting Member

I generally feel that the BB's were a little thicker than the 57's. The 57's always seemed really bright to me. You can find a Duncan 59 or Pearly Gates which sound really killer, as well as the Seth Lovers or Antiquities, which are my favorites. I'm not a big boutique guy, but I'm also pretty unimpressed with Gibson pups, no matter what I try.

3. bscepter

bscepter Member

So... if I want a fair amount of warm grind, what do you think would be the ticket? I like the Antiquity angle, but I'm worried about microphonics, as they aren't potted.

4. Calloway

I have honestly never had a microphonic issue with the Antiquity. They can feed back, but it has always been in a musical way to me, and they are controllable. The Duncan 59 is also a pretty decent pickup and I've also heard some killer Seth Lovers. Antiquity is still my favorite.

5. bscepter

bscepter Member

Actually, I ended up with a set of Fralins (9k & 8.5k), which are great. A little darker and hotter than the BB Pro and 490R. They sound especially nice with the EF86 in my Hayseed.

6. Calloway

Heard nothing but good things about Fralins. Hope you enjoy them!

7. scottlr

scottlr Member

My 62 RI SG Standard came with 57 Classics. It is considerably brighter than my Les Paul with Burstbuckers. But I kind of like it that way.

8. slider313

slider313 Silver Supporting Member

SG's are much brighter than a Les Paul. If you had the same p/u's in both guitars,the SG would naturally be brighter.I would go with a Duncan '59 neck and a JB in the bridge.

9. scottlr

scottlr Member

Yeah, I thought about that, too after I posted.

10. bscepter

bscepter Member

Due to less mass and lack of a maple cap? Or is it something else? (BTW, that's why I went with the darker Fralins)

11. Mac-P

Mac-P Member

That's not necessarily true. Some SG's are darker than some Les Pauls and the other way around.

The LP's maple top gives it a bit more bite in the high end to these ears. Also the LP tends to have more bass. And an LP Custom with an ebony board even more bite in the high end.

The SG is more midrange oriented. The BRIDGE pickup in many SG models (current Standard, Special, etc) is located closer to the actual bridge than on a Les Paul (and other older SG models), so the bridges can many times be brighter and thinner sounding. But the neck pickup is anything but thin. Usually a bit boomy. Certainly at the same amp settings that warm up the bridge pickup.

I have a few SG's and have tried almost every pickup out there in both positions.

A thought: The 57 neck is actually a great pickup. I would save money and keep it and try to find a bridge bucker that played nice with it. I find the Duncan Jazz neck and Duncan '59 neck to be sort of hollow sounding and a bit boomy. And they both have a certain thinner "single coil" quality that I like, but not at the expense of the classic humbucking neck sound. The 57 neck actually sounds really good to my ears. More mids and more body.

The 57+ at the bridge is thin and shrill though. If you want to warm it up and get more "push" the Duncan JB is a midrange orinted pickup with some muscle, but without sounding like a metal pickup. The added mids will fatten up the single notes and make them much less "tinkly". A great pickup for single note lines and soloing.

If you want even less treble and more bass, the Rio Grande BBQ Bucker is just that. Like a JB but less treble, and noticably more bass. That is what I have in my main two SG's at the bridge. I love it.

Both pickups are available in nickel covers, so the look of your guitar doesn't really have to change.

Hope this helps bro! Good luck! :cool: