57 Classic Plus vs. Burstbuckers (1&2)

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by el nino, Aug 7, 2008.

1. el nino

el nino Member

i was just wondering...i have an 58 les paul with burstbuckers and it's amazing sounding guitar but i always thought the pickups had thin sounding treble...if that makes sence:NUTS but... i am also thinking of getting the new traditional...with 57 classics.but i've never heard the 57s in person...so what is the difference?is the 57 classic fatter sounding,aggressive,clearer then the burstbucker or what?
    and yes i do want an similar sounding guitar but with a little more "meat" (i can see my bass player shaking his head "his meat means more bass means less me" :worried)
    thanks

2. MikeB_18

MikeB_18 Member

'57's are fatter and smoother in my opinion. Burstbucker's have more bite due to the unbalanced coil winds and I prefer the bite of a BB when you dig in to it compared to the '57 Classic.

I just recently put a set of Fralin 8k/9k humbuckers in my Custom and I think they provide the best of both world. They have that smooth fat tone of the '57 Classic's but still have that awesome bite of the Burstbucker's. They also have a nice hifi quality to them which is something I think most if not all of Lindy's pickups have. He uses Alnico 4 magnets instead of Alnico 2's or 5's and from what I've heard I think it's a good choice and apparently correct to early PAF's.

3. jazzandmetal?

jazzandmetal? Supporting Member

I agree. I like the Plus in the bridge and a regular 57 in the neck.

4. SgtThump

SgtThump Member

Dude, you owe it to yourself to try a Rio Grande BBQ humbucker in the bridge of your R8. My R8 has a BBQ and it is FAT and THICK! It's too fat for some, but exactly what I've always wanted. Plus, they're very reasonably priced at around $100 new or $50-60 used.

5. Troubleman

Troubleman Silver Supporting Member

I've always found the 57 Classics to be a bit too round and smooth. Something about their midrange. I've a set of Burstbuckers (2 & 3) in my R4 Oxblood. Dig into 'em and they'll scream, yet they have a very phat tone. With '57 Classic pups... not so much. Very smooth and round, but not a "biting, full of attitude" pickup.
    I like my Les Pauls to have a bite of bite and attitude as well.

jb

6. rburkard

rburkard Gold Supporting Member

In your case I would put a Classic 57 in the bridge position while leaving a BB 1 in the neck position. BTW: Classic 57s can be just around or slightly under 8kohms, which is actually a good thing in my opinion. The higher the output of a humbucker, the thinner and weirder they can be. It is also a common misconception that higher output pickups give you more sustain. Quite often the opposite is just the truth. You can always boost a weaker pickup, but you can't tame a high output pickup. My original 58 and 60 Les Paul standards had relatively weak PAFs, but they sounded great and were sustaining for days. Tom Holmes, who also designed the Classic 57 for Gibson, found the ideal number of winds and resistance in my opinion. 7.5kohms for the neck and 8.2 to maximum 8.5 kohms for the bridge pickup. More or less is diminishing the tone quality.
    I think that the Burstbuckers as a combination should be BB1 for neck and BB2 for the bridge. BB2 for the neck and BB3 for the bridge is too much already and results in actually a thinner tone.
    Rene

7. billstets

billstets Member

I didn't think the 57 Classic had a neck or bridge. I thought it was the same pickup, regardless. At least that was the case with the older ones. The pair in my '61 Reissue are nearly identical DC resistance, with the neck actually slightly higher.

8. MikeB_18

MikeB_18 Member

You're correct, there's a '57 Classic and a '57 Classic Plus, the Plus is a bridge pickup the '57 Classic is either. Most if not all factory Gibson's come with two '57 Classics and not one of each.

9. JamminJeff

JamminJeff Member

The Gibbie 57 in the neck is wee bit warm but it's a nice singing warm. My 2 pennies.

10. rburkard

rburkard Gold Supporting Member

I have to Gibsons with Classics and the neck pickups are both 7.5 kohms while the bridge pickups are 8.0 kohms. They seem to match them in their guitars but not with their aftermarket replacements.
    Rene

11. smolder

smolder Gold Supporting Member

I swapped the bb pros out of a chambered studio and put in a 57 classic in the neck, and a 57 classic plus in the bridge. It sounded less chimey and smoother. Not so shrill on the high end.

But I just bought an R8 custom shop - and it has the bb 1 and 2 (potted) and it is the best sounding guitar I have played in a long time. Lot's of variables here though.

The nice thing is you can find nearly all of these in auctions or used... and easily try them out (a little solder work when you next re-string). If they don't work, sell them and you only out the shipping for the experiment.

12. el nino

el nino Member

thanks guys.i think the traditionals come with a 57 classic plus in the bridge position and 57 classic in the neck and i'll try few tradit. before i consider buying another pickups (i have heard only good things about rio grande bbq and i think rev gibbons uses them also in few guitars...but since i'm in croatia it's HARD to get that kind of stuff here)
    But we have fralins here so what are good fralin humbuckers (fat and meaty ones) if i'm not happy with the 57 classics?

13. JimmyR

JimmyR Member

Where in Hrvatska are you? Just curious. Moja zena je Hrvatski.

14. el nino

el nino Member

Thats so cool!I'm from Županja.it's a small city...from what city is your wife?