• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

57 Classics - How to tell neck and bridge apart?

justonwo

Platinum Supporting Member
I have some 57 Classics for sale on eBay that I took out of my 61 SG RI (stock pickups). One buyer asked me the DC resistance, which I hadn't measured on these pickups. They are both 7.7k. Isn't the bridge supposed to be hotter? Do I have two neck pickups?

Very strange.

JLee

Gold Supporting Member
The '57 Classics are all wound to the same DC resistance. You just adjust the heights to achieve the proper balance or get a 57 Classic Plus for the bridge position.

CitizenCain

Specific neck/bridge pickups are a relatively recent phenomenon. In the old days there was no such thing, the assembler just grabbed two pickups from the bin and installed them! '57 Classcis are that way.

fjs1962

Gold Supporting Member
57 Classics vary wildly in their ohms readings from what I've seen. I've had everything from 7.42 to 8.56. I don't think the guys building the guitars measure them either, as I've had two guitars with 57 Classics where the neck pickup had a higher reading than the bridge :(

paintguy

Long Hair Hippy Freak
Gold Supporting Member
Yep, 57' Classics are supposed to be about the same. That's why they came out with a 57' Classic plus. A hotter version for the bridge.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom