• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

57 Classic's -Overly bright bridge, Overly dark neck. Alternative pickups?

dspellman

Why don't you try switching them for each other. Won't cost anything to try, and you might like it.
Yup. Give it a shot. You may very well be pleasantly surprised.

You might also want to tweak your tone controls a bit (already suggested).

FWIW, I just finished wiring up a stereo output (everything looks identical on the guitar) -- the main difference is that I have a TRS (Tip/Ring/Sleeve) stereo cable that runs to a splitter box. I can run separate FX chains and even separate amps from each pickup. This is pretty old school, but it's a LOT of fun.

VHS analog

250K Vol pot on the bridge

You could wire your neck pickup coils in parallel, that would brighten it up a lot.

HoboMan

Gold Supporting Member
Replace them with Dimarzio 36th Anniverseries.
I have two SGs, one with 57 classic & classic+, the other with Dimarzio 36 set.
The Dimarzios should make you happy.

speedemon

The 57s vary, once you have looked at your electronics (500k pots, typical cap value)and checked the impedance of the pickup, if everything checks out, I would start shopping too. I had em in 3 guitars, and they all behave differently. The best set was given away with my Mockingbird! lol. oh well.

bob-i

Just switch them around.
NOT switch for each other.
Turn each PU around, poles reversed.
Makes a big difference with some PUs.....not so much with others.
Yes it does. I bought a sheriton II that the owner said "plays sweet but doesn't sound so good". The bridge was dull, neck was shrill. I took it apart, they were loller imperials, worth more than I paid for the guitar. I reversed them, as well as fixed some cold solder joints, sounds amazing.

So reversing will brighten up the neck and dull down the bridge.

Puckbucker

Generally I like 57s but have no experience with the 57+. The guitars I have 57s in though are semi ahnd hollowbody Gibsons so a different deal. Had burstbucker in my former LPs and would have been happy to swap them for 57s

soopajeanmi

I bought an LP Classic Custom back in March. First LP by the way. These guitars come stock with 57 Classic/57 Classic+ pickups. I love the guitar but I find the bridge pickup to be WAY too bright and the neck pickup WAY too dark. Very hard to dial in a even balance. I've adjusted the pickup height, that helped just a tad but I feel I just need different pickups. Possibly new wiring. A neck pickup not so dark and bassy and a bridge pickup not so bright and trebly. Thought about maybe Pearly Gates in the neck and Seth Lover in the bridge. Anybody have any good suggestions?
You should try to adjust the pole pieces. My luthier did that on the neck humbucker of my 339 (it has 57 classics) and I was amazed by the added clarity he got by doing so.

MKB

Silver Supporting Member
Most of the suggestions so far (pickup adjustment and orientation, changing pot values) are good ones. Going from 250k to 500k pots in some guitars can work miracles with humbuckers.

You may want to carefully check the volume and tone controls on your neck pickup to make sure they are working properly and are wired correctly. If the tone pot on the neck pickup is malfunctioning or wired incorrectly, it could cause the pickup to be too bassy. The 57 Classic/Classic+ pairing is not radically different in tone with each other, so maybe there is some sort of other problem afoot.

I will say my Trad Plus with 57 Classic/Classic+, and 300k volume pots, is drop dead perfect as far as pickup tone and balance goes. I wouldn't have believed it if I didn't own it.

bluesjuke

Disrespected Elder
Good call on checking the wiring.
I had a Les Paul that had the neck volume pot wired backwards from the factory..
Went from very dark and muddy to one of the neck pickups with the greatest clarity I ever had in a LP.

KrisHayes

I agree 100% with you.

Burstbucker 1 (neck) and 2 (bridge) might be a better balance for you. The BB3 is very bright, which I personally like, but I'd steer clear if the 57 is too bright.

joolzriff

I'm a few years behind on this post but just read it ------ I have 57s in my custom shop plain top - love the 57 but it's peircingly too bright even with the original 300k pots - I had an EMerson kit installed and for $90 ( price of some pedals or close) it really opened up my guitar and was well worth more than the $90 admission price ( compared to what u pay on a pedal to change sounds) --- unfortunately as much as I love it the bridge pickup is just too killing in the treble - I even turned the now effective tone pots down but that's turned back to 2/3 now and I gota find the sweet spot and I don't work like that - I move about too much and knock pots about all night -- I think maybe a higher output pickup would work to decrease the treble --- 498t ??????
By the way -my friend has an Sg with 57s and it's not at all trebly -- this must be a construction issue - my lespaul just has a top end character of its own as well

mdrake34

I leave the tone knob on the bridge 57 classic + on my 2016 Trad between 7-8. I wouldn't mind if the neck pickup were a little brighter, but it still sounds good, especially with the volume rolled down and the sun face side of my sun lion on. This is all neck 57 classic, just working the volume knob.

Dawg76

Silver Supporting Member
Had the same issue w/ that neck pup in my '13 LP Traditional. 500k pots; pickup height made no difference. I am OK w/ the bridge pup. I switched out the neck pup to a Duncan Antiquity.

Problem solved.

Last edited:

Didn’t like my classic 57s for the same reason. I’ve been happy with dimarzio 36th anniversaries by far.— with 50s wiring.

Whiskeyrebel

Silver Supporting Member
Just switch them around.
NOT switch for each other.
Turn each PU around, poles reversed.
Makes a big difference with some PUs.....not so much with others.
Had to do this to the neck pickup on my SG. Turn 180 to locate the screws closer to the bridge, then lower it flush with the pickguard, then raise the polepiece screws a bit closer to the strings to equalize volume. It helped a lot.

The bridge pickup was fine without reorienting, but on the SG, the slug coil is a lot closer to the strings than the screw coil is.

bluesoul

While I agree that the neck PU leans a bit to the dark side...the bridge PU IMO leans to the the warm woody side. I like them!

DiNiro

If you bought the guitar used, might be worth checking on the wiring. i recently replaced and then reinstalled the 57 classics on my LP after taking the PCB board out. I cut the plastic clips off and I didn't connect the two wires that i wasn't using for coil splitting. So only one coil on each pickup was at full power and it sounded really awful. VERY bright bridge, VERY dark neck. I fixed that and it sounds as it is supposed to now.

You can check that both coils are functioning properly by tapping the pole pieces on each side with a metal object such as a screwdriver while plugged in.

andyk

Silver Supporting Member
I never liked the 57's. Dimarzio 36th in the neck/Andy Timmons in the bridge = coolness!

Binaural

Silver Supporting Member
Classic '57s are rather height sensitive in some guitars, try lowering them. Most of the '57s I own sit just barely above the pick up ring in the neck and only about an 1/8"-1/4" above the pick up ring in the bridge. Also, classic '57s respond well to magnet swaps, an A3 in the neck and a UOA5 in the bridge pickup.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom