57 Classics vs. RS Fralins in an Epi Sheraton

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by ssb, May 21, 2008.

1. ssb

ssb Supporting Member

Hi, I just bought an MIK Sheraton with 75 Classics, and I'm pretty happy with the sound. However, the guitar the Epi will be replacing has RS Fralins, and before I go and sell it I'm wondering if I should swap the 57's out for the Fralins. Any folks have experience with these 2 varieties of pickups in a 335 type of guitar? If it matters, I play through a silver Deluxe, and I try to contain the honky or nasally mid-range stuff.

Thanks!
    s

2. SkydogFan81

SkydogFan81 Supporting Member

The 57s are really nice pups, my brother has those in his SG. I had some RS Fralins in a Paul and they were really great! But then I got some WB's and those are in there now.

I would say that the Fralins definitely better than the 57s.

3. HipKitty

HipKitty Silver Supporting Member

4. TaZMaNiO

TaZMaNiO Senior Member

Depends on the 57 (I've heard some that nail Holmes PAF vibe), but I would say if I couldn't try the 57's first I would definately go with Fralin PAF winds ;)

5. waynesmith

waynesmith Member

The 57's are nice p/u's. I have a set of RS/Fralin aged True 60's in my R9 and they are outstanding p/u's. The 57's sound good but are not consistent. Fralin's are good across the board..

6. dick wiewy

dick wiewy Member

Isn't that a compound bitch to fish the PU leads to the switch/pots and then solder everything in situe? I've changed my Sheriton's stock pots & switch to CTS and they barely fit through the F holes. It took almost as long just to mask everything and preserve lead length as it did to wire and solder. Half way through I was almost ready to call a tech to complete the task. I was humbled and greatful when it was over is all I want to add.
    YMMV