57 custom shop strat pickup choice? Help?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by razorblade_beat, Feb 24, 2012.

1. razorblade_beat

razorblade_beat Member

Hey guys, I've just landed a 57 custom shop strat. It has come with don mare Josie/vaughan pickups which sound fantastic for that vintage sound, however I think I need some pups with alittle more beef, as I play alot of rock, indie and praise and worship. Any suggestions for a set of pups that will work better with drives and higher gain but retain some of the single coil character? Or maybe the best of a humbucker and single coil? I was thinking Lindy frain blues specials or even maybe lace sensors red, silver, blue...it doesn't have to sound strat like...maybe even make it a fat strat?? suggestions would be cool! Thanks!

2. Lespaulsignature 74

Lespaulsignature 74 Silver Supporting Member

I have a set of Suhr FL's Standards now called ML's in one of my Strats in the neck and middle position and a Fralin SP43 in the bridge. The ML's are more modern sounding, thicker with more bottom than traditional single coils. The Fralin SP43 has output close to P90's, no ice pick or fizzy highs and can really scream when hit with an OD.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2012
  3. '59Fatburst

'59Fatburst Supporting Member

Sounds like you want a set of Dimarzio Area Pickups. I had a '58/'58/'61 set in a Custom Shop '56 Strat. They had great single coil tone while being quieter than most humbuckers I've owned. I don't play with alot of gain, but in those instances I did, the Dimarzios held up very well.

4. razorblade_beat

razorblade_beat Member

Cool, thanks guys, any other suggestions? Anyone have experience with the frain blues specials or lace sensors?

5. Tone-Control

Tone-Control Supporting Member

lollar specials or Duncan ssl5 maybe?

I'm wanting to try the ssl5 in the bridge.

6. razorblade_beat

razorblade_beat Member

Yeah Lollars sound interesting...anyone got any experience with them?

7. rickc007

rickc007 Gold Supporting Member

Like the Fralin Blues Specials for what you describe, or Fender Fat 50s
    The Fralins will have a little more chime,

Not crazy about the Lace Sensors, specially on a main Strat, if you have several ....

The Duncan Antiquities are also quite beefy, specially if you get the Custom Bridge

8. docfox

docfox Member

I know it's heresy in these here parts to consider putting Fender pickups in a Fender guitar, but.... Fender CS Fat Fifties. Great pickups, plenty 'o beef. ;)

9. rickc007

rickc007 Gold Supporting Member

Agree, I've went full circle with many pickup makers

Fender makes some great pups, also like the Custom Shop 54s, and the 60s
    More of a vintage feel to those though

10. Amplite

Amplite Member

I think you should work with the Don Mare's, your rig and give it a little time. Those are great pickups that can do a lot!

11. docfox

docfox Member

It's amazing how fairly tiny adjustments to pickup height can bring out the best tone, along with subtle changes to amp EQ and signal chain. I would put some playing time on the guitar with a screwdriver handy before I seriously considered a swap. But this being TGP, a lot of guys apparently start switching pickups the day before they purchase the guitar! Seriously, though, consider Fat Fifties if you like a classic Strat tone with a bit more girth.

12. razorblade_beat

razorblade_beat Member

Cheers guys, I've taken it to my tech who's gonna set it up properly, he suggested I give the don mares alittle more time, he's gonna wire the tone knob to work with the bridge aswell, we'll see when I get it back whether it can do what I want it to!.....then maybe I should think about change if need be