57 reissue neck on an american standard strat ?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by oplatner, Apr 22, 2015.

1. oplatner

oplatner Member

hi,

I'm a left handed player looking to upgrade my 2010 American standard stratocaster. The main thing i don't like on my guitar is the neck feel... I much prefer my 2013 les paul standard that has a more fatter neck.

So i have a chance on getting a used 57 reissue strat neck (from 1999), according to the specs this neck has a soft V shape, so i guess that should be an approvement in playability ?

My question is would the 57 reissue neck fit in the american standard and would it feel better (bare in mind i'm a lefty who can't just stop at a guitar store and test reissue guitars necks....)

2. swiveltung

swiveltung Member

Not sure a soft V is fat... but you might like it anyway.. hard to say. I will say this: the standard Fender C shape and my Clapton soft V both feel good to me... hard pressed to pick a winner. That might indicate that the soft V wont fix the issue for you.
    Some of the older C shapes are a little uncomfortable to me, Strat Plus, etc.. they feel bigger but not fat....

3. kinmike

kinmike Supporting Member

I think you should check out Warmoth or one of those guys. You can review their neck profiles on line and pick the one closest to your LP.

Mike

4. candid_x

candid_x Supporting Member

It should fit, but pocket sizes vary so it may be a bit tight or loose. For the most part sizes are standard.

Some soft V's are fat, such as the typical 50's Baja. I put a Baja neck on an American Special and it fit up fine.

Last time I went on a replacement neck search for my American Standard I wound up buying the entire guitar, that was being parted out.

Good luck!

5. mdrake34

mdrake34 Member

Are you ok with 21 frets, a vintage 7.25" fretboard radius, and vintage sized frets? Because you'll be going from your 22 medium jumbo fret, 9.5" radius neck on the american standard.

6. bigtone23

bigtone23 Member

This is the bigger issue vs the soft V vs modern C shapes. I'm not sure when it happened exactly, but the AVRI necks didn't get historically accurate (thicker) until sometime in the 2000s. The older AVRI necks are still quite thin feeling.
    The neck pocket, however, will work fine with most any Fender Strat neck.

7. mc5nrg

mc5nrg Supporting Member

I wouldn 't expect the VR neck to feel better or fatter, maybe less so.

8. oplatner

oplatner Member

I don't know much about neck radius, frets or scale lengths,
    All i know is that since i bought my 2013 les paul standard i hardly ever play my strat because i find the les paul much more comfortable...

I guess i should find a neck shape that will closer to a les paul ?

9. mdrake34

mdrake34 Member

A neck from warmoth sounds right up your alley. They have a neck profile similar to a les Paul neck. And if you like the les Paul, you want the more modern radius on the fretboard and taller frets.

10. straycat113

straycat113 Member

Totally agree with going over to Warmoths site (I was just there two nights ago) and they have drawn diagrams and the specs listed. You can also get any kind of neck wood from Roaasted Maple to Rosewood. As already stated I doubt you will feel comfortable going from a 9.5" radius to a 7.25".

11. Leif Johan

Leif Johan Member

I don't think that the AVRI 57' neck will fit your American standard without some sort of modification. Due to the 7.25" Radius & 21 frets.

I do think a Clapton neck might fit though.
    It has the Soft V shape, 9.5'' Radius & 22 frets.

12. mauolaidom

mauolaidom Member

You can review their neck profiles on line and pick the one closest to your LP.[​IMG]