‘57 Strat with weirdly placed logo

KFBR392

Silver Supporting Member
If it’s going to be flipped at some point, you really need to take the logo into consideration because someone will flag the logo as being off and you’ll find yourself in a negotiation in which you’re playing defense. I’d try to negotiate a little bit of a cushion if I could. This is a situation where you’ll have to shoot a little bit of pool with the acquisition and try to set yourself up well for your next shot while also nailing this one.

Jazzandmore

Platinum Supporting Member
With those stickers being unprotected on the early guitars, it’s surprising most have survived. I guess even with all the string changes, etc., one rarely touches that area of the headstock luckily.

bluejaybill

Silver Supporting Member
I've seen plenty of damaged logo decals over the years. For instance, the otherwise excellent +++ '61 Custom Telecaster in my avatar had the top 1/4 of the D missing.

That didn't stop it from commanding top dollar when I let it go in 2008, not even a question on it.

Hogy, I doubt that would have kept you away from that particular guitar!

Tenorsaxman

Silver Supporting Member
Would you buy this guitar if you knew you’re going to have to do some tap dancing in the future when you decide to sell it or trade it?
Sure, because I wouldn’t buy it if it wasn’t a killer player. If it was that good, the logo wouldn’t matter to me. I may use that as a negotiation tactic, but as long as the deal made sense, I wouldn’t give 2 ***** if the logo was original (or even there).

sws1

The logo is the face of the guitar to me. I am personally unhealthily hung up on an intact logo. So much so, in fact, I have a recurring dream where I play my favorite Strat and the logo falls off. Now, in my dream, the guitar is useless. Go to work on that, amateur Freuds.

It's always been said, guitars are phallic symbols. That could be a clue.

Jazzandmore

Platinum Supporting Member
It's always been said, guitars are phallic symbols. That could be a clue.

Hmm, and the pic in your avatar has the symbolism possibly. In that case I gotta assume other instruments could fall into interesting categories…But I won’t mention any…:D

Turnipfarmer

I have seen many 1966 Fenders where it looks like the decal was held at the bottom by the patent #'s with some greasy fingers while being placed.

Gevalt

I have seen many 1966 Fenders where it looks like the decal was held at the bottom by the patent #'s with some greasy fingers while being placed.
I'm gonna find out who this greasy-fingered guy was, and make him the next Abigail Yberra!

"Ooooh! You got an Uncle Irving Strat! These are really rare! He was fired in '67 for accidentally starting a lacquer fire with his cigar ashes. Only 400 are known to exist. The rest burned."

Tenorsaxman

Silver Supporting Member
You guys are all nuts. I’m going to shop for guitars with ugly logos because I’ll know I don’t have a lot of competition and can buy them at a discount.

Gino delucia

I am thinking of picking up an all original ‘57 Stratocaster, the only anomaly is how the logo is placed. The seller claims it is original, and it looks correct to my eye, as does the finish so I have no reasons to suspect otherwise.

Has anyone else seen this odd placement? Would this stop you from buying, or should it deduct value? View attachment 635639
Looks like the NUT, is placed more forward too??

Also the curve on the headstock, under the Fender logo, is more subtle? Compared to the confirmed real one

Spider-Man

Silver Supporting Member
Those subtle variances could all be the result of the wide-angle lens on a cell phone camera.

Top Bottom