57 Tweed Bassman in Vegas

mscaggs

Ok guys,

I am posting this for those of you who are on the hunt for a Tweed Bassman.

I am in Las Vegas this week and of course had to check out the local vintage shops. There is a place here called Cowtown Guitars. They have a 57 Tweed Bassman there for $2900.00. Now, I pulled the chassis and everything is orig including trannies. The cabinet and speakers have been replaced. The cab is pine and looks good as it is lacquered and slight relicing.

I am in no way affiliated with these guys, I just walked in and saw this amp.

Custom Deluxe

Isn't that crazy low for one of these amps? I'm not a tweed expert, but I thought they were much higher than this.

rburkard

Platinum Supporting Member
It is low. I just saw two at Guitar Center on Sunset Blvd in LA for each $4,400.

mscaggs

The question is can you take 2900 and find another even with replaced cabinet and speakers? Not sure but I know you guys will know better than I...

QRSS

brutalist
a misrepresented vintage tele and return policy thread in the pub couple months back.

Leonc

Wild Gear Hearder
Platinum Supporting Member
Oh man...just reviewed that thread about Cowtown...uggghhhh...what a shame. As much as I'd like to get my hands on an old Bassman like that, I'm not willing to deal with scoundrels.

Geetarpicker

The reality is times are a bit slow to sell any expensive amp. That said a changed cab really knocks the dollars off though I've seen tweed Bassman chassis alone bring over $2k on ebay.

That said, I've been trying to sell a nice '59 Fender tweed Pro now for a month locally on CL for a grand less than this, and still have only had one guy come check it out.

Last edited:

mscaggs

Seems like the vintage market is soft and slow which may reflect the price...

I don't have any personal dealings with Cowtown so I have no comments either good or bad...

drbob1

Gold Supporting Member
Yeah, Cowtown is the guy who shows up on Pawn Stars, and yeah, their rep sucks. That said, $2900 isn't a bad price. Dave's sold a pair of 58-59 Bassmen this last year, ask was around $3k IIRC and selling price would likely have been slightly under this. They'd had some work done but were more original than Cowtowns. There are LOTS of 5F6/5F6-A Bassmen out there, so finding one under $3k sin't impossible.

billyguitar

For Vegas or LA that might be low but anywhere else that price seems in the right range to me. Replaced cab and speakers is significant.

Trending Topics