'57 Tweed Deluxe Reissue

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by dougb415, Feb 14, 2008.

1. dougb415

dougb415 Supporting Member

Man, what a GREAT amp. Our local store had a 40% off sale, and we were able to get a little more skimmed off of the price. Took it home and plugged the Strat into it. Oooh, nice. Same thing with the Tele. Then we tried out the R9 Lester.

ZOOM ZOOM! What a team those two make! Guitar, cord, amp. Beauty.

My wife is going to be gone most of Saturday and I plan on taking advantage of the situation as early (and as long) as possible. My ears are going to be RINGING....!

2. Shnook

Shnook Member

This is very good to hear. I've been thinking of one of these to mate with my 07 R9 and was concerned how humbuckers would sound through it. There are two for sale here locally. I may have to go try 'em out this weekend and see if I can't wheel and deal something.

3. dougb415

Prepare to be impressed. Even my wife was bowled over by the tone. Just for the heck of it we took out my old LP copy and plugged it in. It sounded so-so. Then re-plugged the R9. KERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRANG!!!!!! Those two are made to be together.

4. Peppy

Peppy Member

Works for me, I've had mine since April of last year. Somewhere there's a long thread on them that I started back then...might be of some interest.

5. Shnook

Shnook Member

Is there much issue with the humbuckers overdriving the amp too much and making more noise than music? I know these are very different amps, but my '59 Tweed Champ sounds like a$$ with my 07 R9. Although, that may be due to speaker size.

6. Peppy

Peppy Member

Shnook, I prefer my single coil-equipped guitars over my humbucking-equipped one for the Deluxe. Of course changing the first preamp tube to a 12AY7 helps a bit to lessen the distortion and adds a touch more headroom.

7. dougb415

I guess it all depends on what you're looking for... this is one of the first times where there is a real benefit to using the volume controls on the guitar. It can literally roar full-on, then roll back the volume and it cleans up nice and sweet. I haven't tried it dimed yet, maybe this weekend when the wife is gone...

8. dougb415

Well, I had planned on doing some clips today... then my wife called me while she was out on the road... bad migraine, had to go to the emergency room, I had to drop everything and pick her up, etc etc. To make a long story short, no clips, no idea when I'll get another chance like I would've had today. Things like that will happen tho, y'know?