'57 Tweed Twin RI: more tweed at the shack

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by mad dog, Mar 21, 2008.

1. mad dog

mad dog Silver Supporting Member

Hey all: Been itching for 2x12 tones lately. It came down to 2 fenders: The Pro Reverb, and/or a low power tweed twin. Played the PR, love that amp. Never have played a tweed twin, always had the feeling it would work for me. So today got the opportunity. Traded a guitar plus some cash for a used one. Not all that used from what I could tell. Tried it out with a G&L ASAT Classic and reverb tank, and here at home with a strat and 335. Only a few minutes plugged in so far ... the mojo is pretty obvious anyway. What a pretty clean tone, those speakers are just perfect. Love the two rectifier setup. The big bonus for me is how good it sounds with the strat. Haven't turned it up too far yet. Guessing it can get loud. Really nice amp, I think Fender did this one right.

2. riffmeister

riffmeister Gold Supporting Member

Better than a Tyger????

;)

3. mad dog

Riff: Not better. Different. A couple years down the road with the Tyger, I find myself gravitating more to larger speakers, to 2x12 and 1x15 formats. Maybe it's the different feel, the slightly slower response. Working my way through the tweeds, finding my level. It's not any lack of tone in the Tyger. I haven't heard a better sounding amp. Comparing tweed types at my house:

-- Gibson GA40 ... big box 1x12, hot, dark tones. A loud 15 watts, this one is not about clean. A classic, compression rich smaller tweed sound.

-- Tyger ... much bigger in every way. Much cleaner. Punchy, tight bass. Moves into a singing overdrive, right where you want it for stage work. Remarkable Weber speakers, plus the best reverb unit I've heard yet.

-- Sewell Wampus Cat ... tweed pro-like, more or less. PHAT. Where the Tyger sings, this one howls. A dense, hot kind of sound. Looser bass, doesn't cut through the mix as well as the Tyger.

-- Tweed Twin ... like a deeper-sounding Tyger. Has a similar warmth and clarity, due in part (I'm guessing) to the wonderful Weber speakers. Big, solid bass, not as fast and punchy as the the 3x10s, but bigger. Lots of clean here, lots of volume. As touch-responsive an amp as I've played yet.

There is no better here. They're all remarkable. The real question for me is, which will I use more often? Which ones favor the way I play? Tough call. I can't keep them all.

4. riffmeister

Damn, I hate that part! :mad:

Does the Tweed Twin have more clean headroom than the Tyger?

5. mad dog

Riff:

Yes, the twin stays cleaner longer, to louder, than the Tyger. Some of that is a function of extra volume, probably more to do with the two rectifier setup. I'll know more when I can get it on a stage and turn up a bit ...

6. Kmaz

Kmaz Member

The '57 Twin is a beast of an amp. Warm crunch and cleans up nice as well.

7. riffmeister

mad dog, I'd also be interested in a comparison of speakers/cabs. For example, have you tried playing the TT thru the Clark speakers & cab, and vice versa?

8. scottsee

scottsee Member

I'd be interested in hearing about that as well. I've got a 3x10 Bandmaster clone that I LOVE but I want to try a Tweed Twin because I feel that 12's give a bigger sound -- I wonder how close the Bandmaster could get with a 2x12 setup?

9. Peppy

Peppy Member

Although desigined by Mr. Weber the speakers in the '57 Twin are built by Eminence.

10. AaeCee

AaeCee Member

So true. And it's a beautiful, thick clean, without any of the spikey-ness sometimes encountered in tweed or blackface types. Takes pedals really well, and also allows for combining of channels (not that I do it, but some swear by it) using cables. Really one of the great all around amps, and a personal favorite.