'57 Tweed Twin RI vs. Weber 5E8A kit

Discussion in 'Amps/Cabs Tech Corner: Amplifier, Cab & Speakers' started by guitarist58, Apr 25, 2008.

1. guitarist58

guitarist58 Member

2. LZ_69

LZ_69 Member

Transformers are the biggest difference since the Weber kit just uses generic replacements. The power transformer they supply with the kit doesn't have enough current to use the two tube rectifiers without an add on filament transformer

I imagine the Fender would probably have better jacks, switches, and pots as well.

Also the Weber kit would use cloth wire and phenolic turret boards like an original while Fender can't use that stuff since it doesn't pass UL or CSA standards anymore.

You may want to look into getting a Mojotone kit from one of there dealers since it already come with good transformers, jack and so forth. I imagine that they could build a cab with a tolex covering as well.

http://store.marshamps.com/product_info.php?cPath=21&products_id=368

3. guitarist58

guitarist58 Member

Thank you for the info! I appreciate the help :)

4. Groovey Records

Groovey Records Member

Jackson Heights Birthplace of Johnny Thunders
    I think for new Kit Builders the Allan Kits are great for Brown or Black Face,

it comes fully documented with Email support

5. JimmyR

JimmyR Member

I built a 5E8-A with Mojo chassis, trannies and cab. Sozo caps, PaulC mod and increased filtering, plus one or two little tweaks and 1xCelestion G12H and 1xGold speakers and it sounds great - my number one amp. I have built others using MM trannies but the Mojo trannies are just fine. I like it a lot more than the Fender RI, but the Fender sounds pretty good.

6. jay42

jay42 Member

The last time I looked into this, the BBQ version was still a great deal considering the price of his speakers and a cabinet. Things may have changed. I have the mojo OT. That OT is unlike any other typical Triad/Fender of the 50's. I think you're getting a generic Super Reverb OT with the kit.