'57 Twin RI vs Marshall 1974X......

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by pedalcr8z, Feb 20, 2008.

1. pedalcr8z

pedalcr8z Supporting Member

Home use only.........Nocaster and R-4 Historic....old school rock, jazz, clean, crunch, pick sensitivity, detail,& clarity, deep bass, natural swirling reverb, natural break uo......no pedals. Get it all now with the '57 but never owned a Marshall..........bad move or what?
    Very aware of Marshall's OT problems with their first run of these but supposedly, that's behind them. Thanks in advance!

2. jay42

jay42 Member

Neither has reverb. Are you saying that you have the Twin? Different beasties. You want both, though, imo, Marshall makes the some of the worst 18W clones. There are so many improved versions. Check out Reinhardt, Gabriel, Brownnote, 65Amps, long list.

3. pedalcr8z

pedalcr8z Supporting Member

Yes, I have the Twin.......referring to the natural swirling reverb that the Twin's pine cab offers.........thanks.

4. loudstuff

loudstuff Member

Definitely different animals. I'd avoid the 1974x though, I'm under the impression that the OT problems didn't end with their first run. You could also get an amp similar to a 1974x (2 EL84 platform) with better quality and/or a lower price.

5. Dana Olsen

Dana Olsen Gold Supporting Member

Every time I play through one of the RI '57 Lo Power Twins, I want one. I think those things sound wonderful.

I agree with Andrew D - there are a number of other builders who make an 18w combo that sounds as good or better than the Marshall 1974X. If you spend the big bucks on the hand-wired Marshall, they sound pretty dang good. For my money though, between those two, I'd choose the Fender every time - I think they sound and feel great.

Dana O.