57 twin with pedals or without?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by slowhandjr, Sep 17, 2008.

1. slowhandjr

slowhandjr Member

I recently bought the fender 57 twin reissue & I love it. The tone when it's cranked is awesome but its way to loud. I have the Keeley bd2 but the overdrive sounds sort of processed compared to the amp cranked. Any suggestions?

2. mad dog

mad dog Silver Supporting Member

What works for me on this amp and other tweeds is two clean boosts, more or less. Burriss Boostier into the Xotic RC Boost. The RC is capable of more drive, but I keep the gain knob about 9 oclock, other knobs at 12 oclock. Works out great at medium and higher volumes, with either HB or single coils. With HB guitars, I generally use only the RC Booster.

The '57 low power twin is one LOUD amp. I have both channel volumes set to a little over halfway, controlling volume from the guitar. Depends on the guitar (and stage) how loud it gets ... even at that amp setting, guitar full up is LOUD. So I don't get to hear the cranked sounds. But the good news is, the cleans -- and not quite cleans -- are so fine, I don't much care.

3. vgm

vgm Member

I find that the Barber Burn Unit works really well with this amp. I turn the Gain to its lowest setting while adjusting the Dynamic knob depending on how much compression I want to add. It stacks really well with the Love pedal Eternity and Klon for different flavors of gain. By matching the clean volume of the amp with the overdriven sounds from pedals, helps me to keep the volume levels under control.

4. Blueshound

Blueshound Member

THD Hotplate. Works great on mine.

Lee

5. FrankieSixxxgun

FrankieSixxxgun Member

+1 for the Hot Plate. If you like a cranked sound you gotta use an attenuator to get the volume down. I use a Hot Plate with my JCM 800.

6. slowhandjr

slowhandjr Member

Thanks for the help! I'm going to look into the hotplate.

7. winkofaneye

winkofaneye Member

Dont forget the Dr Z Airbrake.Or the Ultimate Attenuator.Both cool!

8. slowhandjr

slowhandjr Member

What does this thing do exactly? Will it change the tone of the amp? I looked on the website & they have many models to choose from. Will this thing sound better than the bd2?

9. gregc

gregc Member

Try pulling one of the rectifier tubes. It'll give it up sooner........

10. FrankieSixxxgun

FrankieSixxxgun Member

A Boss BD-2 is an effect pedal, a Hot Plate is a signal attenuator. What an attenuator does is sit in the signal path between the output of your amplifier and the input on the speakers. You crank the amp, it runs through the hot plate, the hot plate does what the name implies and converts electrical sound signal into heat and dissipates it. What that does for you is allows you to crank the amp to get that cranked amp sound, but only a fraction of that sound makes it to the speaker so you don't blow your ears out. I run my 100 watt Marshall basically wide open with a Hot Plate set to -8db in small clubs without any complaints. I get full driven amp tone and a happy club owner. :D

Edit - Oh yeah, forgot about the tone. My Hot Plate is pretty transparent at the -4db and -8db taps. The -12db and -16db taps compress the sound and do change the tone, but there's no way you're gonna kick them down that low anywhere but in your house, so it's kind of a nonissue. Now if you bought a Twin for bedroom playing, you might want to reconsider your whole amp choice right now, but for gigging, a Twin and a Hot Plate should be smoking.

11. dewman

dewman Gold Supporting Member

what's the ohm rating of this amp? 8 or 4??

12. Blueshound

Blueshound Member

13. es137p

es137p Supporting Member

actually, plus one on pulling a rectifier tube, or putting old USA (expensive) Tung Sol 5881's or, cheaper, JAN Philips 6L6 WGB power tubes to lower breakup. Also, not cheap, but nice natural boost pedals, the Klon, or, the BJF Sea Blue EQ. Its hard to fing, but very nice, adds a little grit. I have a Victoria 35115, thats prefect size for cranking up to 9-10 out of 12 at a bar, and not killing people's ears. No pedals. I think Mad Dog knows what I'm talking bout with the 15" speakers.

14. deeval

deeval Supporting Member

Also try pluggin into the lower DB jack so you can turn volume up more and not get louder just gets the tubes cooking abit more.

15. siore

siore Member

Dime the BD-2 level. Set gain to somewhere around 9 o'clock.