• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!

57Special/Rob/Prairiewood?

gkoelling

Hi,

Does anyone know anything about Rob Dixon, TGP member @57special of Prairiewood Guitars?

I've owned a couple of his guitars and have tried twice to reach him through his website over the past couple years and received no response. He hasn't posted here for over a year and I'm wondering if he's OK.

Any info you may have, or I may have missed, is appreciated.

Thanks

gkoelling

Any update? I was wondering too.
The only update is that Wolfe was more than willing to help, very nice. He hasn't heard from Rob in 2 years either but was able to contact someone who might be able to help. Wolfe then forwarded an email address to me, I sent an email to Rob at that address on the 11th but have heard nothing.

It doesn't look good.

If I get a response, or any more info, I'll report back here. If anyone else has info I would appreciate you passing it on to me or posting it here.

Thanks

The Eristic

Mild necro-bump, but any update? I stumbled across some vids I shot of his guitars at Nashville Amp Expo many years ago and was reminded of how fantastic they were, was thinking of getting in touch!

gkoelling

Mild necro-bump, but any update? I stumbled across some vids I shot of his guitars at Nashville Amp Expo many years ago and was reminded of how fantastic they were, was thinking of getting in touch!
No luck. There have been a few people who have tried to help but all roads were a dead end.

I hate to admit it but I even Googled obituaries and gladly came up empty there as well. I can only speculate that he may have gone back to cabinet making and/or just doesn't want any contact. At least, that's what I hope the situation is.

I sold the LP Special I had due to the financial crunch of the recession. That's one guitar I'd love to have back. I sold it here but don't recall who the buyer was.

Thanks for reviving the thread.

skydog

It might have been me; I bought a dark sunburst PW Special w/ 2 Marshallhead Mean pickups here on TGP. I sold it to a guy on Puget Sound along with a Gadow DC in TV Yellow.

dB

No luck. There have been a few people who have tried to help but all roads were a dead end.

I hate to admit it but I even Googled obituaries and gladly came up empty there as well. I can only speculate that he may have gone back to cabinet making and/or just doesn't want any contact. At least, that's what I hope the situation is.

I sold the LP Special I had due to the financial crunch of the recession. That's one guitar I'd love to have back. I sold it here but don't recall who the buyer was.

Thanks for reviving the thread.
unless it’s a member of the same name, looks like he last posted here a month ago

Dana Olsen

Platinum Supporting Member
Hey Greg - My contacts at the two guitar stores in Minnesota haven't got back to me with any usable info on Rob's contact info either - sorry, I tried.

Best, Dana O.

cholula69

Gold Supporting Member
I have had a couple of his builds and sold one. I first bought a single P90 Jr. style build and then I bought the first Prairiecaster he made, it was orange. I still got the Jr. and it's a ringer.

Before I had kids I toured with that Prairiecaster on four different continents and it has the wear to show it. I ended up selling it. It was a nice player with great tone and very lightweight. You can see it on his website. There is also an old, Show your Priariewood thread here: https://www.thegearpage.net/board/index.php?threads/show-your-prairiewood.398881/page-6

I hope he is okay. We got a little pissy with each other over 40 USD way back when and I canceled my last order. Since then I haven't heard a thing. He had a great quality to price point value with his guitars. I always thought he built pretty good guitars.

Last edited:

Hammertone

I changed the knobs and bridge simply because I prefer they way they look. The bridge is a Gotoh/Wilkinson, but could just as well have been a MojoAxe, Faber, old Leo Quan BadAss or old Schaller, all of which I use on various other wraptail guitars.

I typically use a .011-.52 string set, and haven't had intonation issues with any of these bridges.

I'm sure there is a difference in sound between the aluminum Pigtail and the zinc? Gotoh/Wilkinson, especially since the guitar is very light, but it sounds great either way.

Last edited:

Trending Topics