1. A proposal is now up as a poll to change the guidelines of TGP to only allow member self-deleting of post/threads for up to thirty days of the original posting it. We are now watching the poll here. Click here to view the thread.

Dismiss Notice

5881s in a 20 watt Blackbird...wattage boost?

Discussion in 'Amps/Cabs Tech Corner: Amplifier, Cab & Speakers' started by Perry D., May 17, 2011.

1. Perry D.

Perry D. Supporting Member

Question..How many watts will I gain by running 5881s in my 20 watt Blackbird? My amp tech checked it out and said it could handle the extra voltage.

Thanks,
    Perry

2. Perry D.

Perry D. Supporting Member

Anyone care to comment? :wave

3. RussB

RussB low rent hobbyist Silver Supporting Member

What is a 20 watt blackbird?

What tubes are in there now?

What does your tech say/think?

If you want good answers, you need to provide good info :)

4. zzmoore

zzmoore Member

Fargen Black Bird
    2x6V6.

You may want to shoot Ben an email and ask him what the OT will think of those 5881's......he's a nice guy.
    Best

5. passfan

passfan Member

5881's are slightly more than a 6V6 and less than a 6L6GC. That being said any wattage increase will be wholly independent of topology. In order to hear a difference of volume you will need a 6db increase which is doubtful. You may not notice a volume increase even if there is one, so if your looking for a lot you may need another amp. I would expect the amp to run a tad cleaner which would give you more headroom before breakup which you may perceive as a volume increase. The tone will surely be affected.

6. Timbre Wolf

Timbre Wolf GoldMember Supporter Gold Supporting Member

I think you meant to say "dependent" instead of "independent" ;)

The increased wattage the 5881 can potentially dissipate, relative to the 6V6, is entirely dependent on the power section's capacity for supplying it.

- Thom

7. passfan

passfan Member

8. Category 5

Category 5 Member

It depends on the transformers ability to supply the voltage and the current. My guess would be 30+ watts. I'd be concerned as hell if the amp is a cathode biased amp. If its fixed bias, then it will be ok, depending on how much stress is put on the transformers. Running an amp past its design is a recipe for running it very hot, to the point it may catch on fire. Be careful.

I would check with the manufacturer, you may be risking your warranty at least. Better to trade it for a 40 watt amp that you can run 6v6 safely when you want less power.

DonR