59’ baseman reissue LTD is incredible

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by soandso, Aug 24, 2005.

1. soandso

soandso Member

Wanted to get a good fender tube amp. A/B’d every fender tube over $500 at guitar center. They all sounded nice with moderate differences but I wasn’t really blown away. The last one I plugged into was a new 59’ baseman LTD reissue. All I can say is believe the good reviews on this, disregard the bad. This thing the most clear responsive amp I have ever heard. Played it against everything else in guitar center as well (they had some nice stuff in there). It won hands down against all comers. My main guitar is an all-original 58’Gibson ES 125 with a one p-90 (unbelievable guitar) and a stock Strat. Both jumped out of the amp like nothing else. It was really quite amazing how much better this thing sounded than everything else. I know there are great boutique amps there but for what this thing is - it is unbelievable. Been playing 35 years jazz and blues.

My question is – there is one on the floor which I played through and I know I love, but who knows what it has been through, it’s been on the floor for about three month’s (so I’m told) or I can order a new one in a box which has been through nothing but don’t know if it will sound as good. Any comments?

2. Eric Pykala

Eric Pykala Member

I'm of the old school that says when you find a "magic" amp or guitar, buy THAT ONE. Who cares if it's been on the floor for awhile; it'll be used as soon as you get home with it. The shiny new one you get out of the box might be a complete dog (or even better). Try this in a music store: If they have say ten Bassman reissues, ask them to open all of them up so you can try each one individually. See how far that goes...
    If ya like it, buy it!-Eric

3. Tag

Tag Gold Supporting Member

I found the same thing with the LTD. World class amp. It easily surpassed the boutiques I put it up against.

I think the Fenders are consistant enough that you could order a new one and be fairly safe. Still, like all amps, some do sound a bit better than others. A friend of mine has a HR Deluxe that just sounds better than all of the others I have played. (And they all seem to sound really good)

4. ChrisP

ChrisP Member

agreed...

5. dave s

dave s Member

Isn't there a saying that goes something like ...

' ... an amp in hand is worth two in the box,' or something like that?

I'm with the others--take the amp that speaks to you and enjoy it!

dave

6. mude

mude Supporting Member

Get the one you played and like. Plus, they have a decent warrantee I think. Maybe they will knock a few bucks off the floor model. Who knows?

Really a great amp I think. One of my favorites for what it is.

Evan.

7. fjs1962

fjs1962 Silver Supporting Member

Another thing to consider: The amp that has been on the try-out floor for a while will sound better than one right out of the box becuase the new speakers have had some time to break in.

I think if you find the amp that speaks to you you should buy that amp, unless it's been beat up on the showroom floor (see that a lot at GC). A couple of times I've bought a mail-order amp (or even pedal) that didn't sound as good as the one I tried out oin the store.

8. glasman

glasman Guest

Some of the new Fenders are REALLY nice (albeit pricey). A while back I was cruising one of the local GC stores and plugged into a 57' Tweed Twin reissue with a Telecaster. Totally amazing tone! Open, dynamic and very responsive. Great amp!!

Gary

9. 69strat

69strat Member

I loved the !@#$ out of the LTD

10. spikeRI

spikeRI Member

wait'll you hear one thats been converted to original specs and has some good speakers and better tubes....

11. bluesbreaker59

bluesbreaker59 Supporting Member

Man I just got one this week. Its fantastic, I've been very impressed. The cleans are outstanding, and the driven tone is very thick. I think the key is to keep the treble low.

I've been using the following settings:

Vol Bright : 4
    Vol Normal: 5
    Treble: 3- 4
    Middle: 6 - 8
    Bass: 2 - 3
    Presence: 6 - 8

Channels jumpered, sounds great like this. I also slipped in an NOS 12ay7 in V1, and a GE 12ax7 in the PI slot.

12. Mac Daddy 355

Mac Daddy 355 MilkBone Supporting Member Silver Supporting Member

Their's still nothing like the real thing

But they are great for the price

[​IMG][/IMG]

:)-D

13. KLB

KLB Member

Nothing like the REAL thing?

Watcha' Mean by that?

14. Mac Daddy 355

The new stuff sounds good & better with age

But the vintage stuff has more of a vibe...tone/sole/character

photos shown are 1 1959 & 1 1960 original bassman last two years for tweeds

Bassman's

15. MK.II

MK.II Member

Beautiful Bassmans and Teles!........What years are the Teles?

FWIW, I'm pretty sure that '59 AND '60 were the last two years for tweed Bassmans, but not all tweed Fender amps. The last year for tweed Deluxes was '61 and tweed Champs lasted into '63. Champs were the last one to lose the tweed and the tweed style cab with the top facing control panel. The first black tolex/gray grille cloth Champs still had the tweed style cabinets like the modern black Hot Rod series amps.

16. Mac Daddy 355

true

52 Tele

59 Tele custom w/57neck

17. MK.II

MK.II Member

18. granite

granite Member

What's the street price on new one of these? Just curious.

19. soandso

soandso Member

Wow - first post - just put in this morning already two pages. Thanks for the responses guys; can’t believe the size of this site. Anyway glad to see others are noticing this amp. I think I’ll go with the consensus and get that exact one - already have a deposit on it and it looks clean. Only other amp I am curious about, which I didn’t get to hear, was the 57' Tweed Twin reissue which “glasman” commented on this string. Has anyone A/B’d between the LTD and the Tweed Twin reissue? Also if I did upgrade the tubes in the LTD what would the simplest “best bang for the buck” replacements and about how much would that cost?

20. LSchefman

LSchefman Supporting Member

There's just mojo in certain amps. Get the one you played and liked.