'59 Bassman Ltd or Boogie Mark I/III?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Charles#5, Jun 27, 2006.

1. Charles#5

Charles#5 Member

Hi,

I want to get a new amp and have narrowed it down to a new '59 Bassman Ltd, a used Boogie Mark I RI or a used original 1981 Boogie Mark III. I play rhythm guitar in a classic rock covers band. The amp has to give me a big bold clean sound that I can color with a couple of pedals. Which of these 3 would you pick, and why?

Cheers,

Johan.

2. Tankguy

Tankguy Member

The Bassman LTD. Reasons, you get the industry leading standard Fender clean, Mesas are good, but cannot hold a candle to Fender cleans. Second, the Bassman loves pedals. I have a tube screamer, an EHx Worm and an Ibanez analog delay, all work great with the Bassman.

3. mavrick10_2000

mavrick10_2000 Member

Bassman LTD. I like the Boogie Mark I's as well, but I still suggest the Bassman. Takes pedals well, nice cleans, plenty of power for most venues, lighter than the Mesa/Boogies, no reverb, but hell I rarely use it anymore anyhow. Takes pedals well also, when pushed I like the OD sound of the Bassman. Oh yeah and it's covered in Tweed, I like Tweed.

4. BIGGERSTAFF

BIGGERSTAFF Member

Last week I got a chance to check out the Bassman LTD, and I'm gonna have to pick up one of those myself. Great amp- beautiful cleans, big round tone with just the right amount of spank. Throw a few pedals in, and your good to go.

5. vendo

vendo Member

6. Stormin

Stormin Supporting Member

I'll go against the masses - Boogie Mark I. I've been playing my reissue as my main amp for the last 7 years. The Boogie has the classic rock thing nailed. It can do everything tha Bassman can (assuming you use a 4x10 cab) and it loves pedals. Ch 2 on the Mark 1 is like a fender with a functional master volume.

On a side note, there were no Mark III's in 1981. I think you mean a Mark II.

YMMV,

Stormin!

7. homerayvaughan

homerayvaughan Member

Bassman. Great all round amp.

8. alphadynamic

alphadynamic Member

Another vote for Bassman, why? put a tube screamer, proco Vintage Rat and a holy grail in the front end, and you have not only a great set of overdrives, but one of the best cleans on the planet. Also because the bassman is pine its light, even with 4 10" cones.
    The bassman (IMHO) has a great warm sound with a pedal in the front end, I have never found the "ice pick" tone at high volumes, and its a dream to record.
    I am a bit biased though, because I'm not keen on anything made by boogie, after some bad (and expensive) experiences.
    It looks cool too....

9. Charles#5

Charles#5 Member

Thanks for all your replies so far. Seems most of you would pick the Bassman. I'm torn... a Boogie is something I have been dreaming of since I started playing in 1984, but I never could afford one. Now that I can, there's this handsome big Bassman trying to seduce me. Decisions, decisions....

Cheers,

Johan.

10. hottub

hottub Member

11. wsaraceni

wsaraceni Member

12. Jerrod

Jerrod Silver Supporting Member

You have to play them. The Boogie and the Bassman couldn't be much more different. I could easily see the Mark III being a good gig amp, and the Bassman could work too. But the differences between sound and feel are going to be huge, and a bunch of internet pundits (myself included) aren't going to be able to predict what you'll like.

13. charley

charley Supporting Member

I have a Boogie MK 1 Reissue, and I love it. You can get blackface tones from input 2, or more modern tones from input 1. Plus, it takes 6l6s, 6v6s, and el34s with no re-biasing. Sometimes I run mine at 100 watts, in input one with 6l6s, and that is great. Right now, I am using a quad of GT 6v6s in tweed power at about 15 watts. Both settings sound great, and are very versatile. I would recommend replacing the speaker to give it more life. I use mine with a Two Rock 12-65, and it sounds amazing. Get the MK 1.
    [​IMG]

14. notpetrucci

notpetrucci Member

Mk 1 RI, get it chopped into head (or if it comes in a head) and push a 410.

Best of both worlds, and more headroom...

Just my humble opinion,
    -Jon

15. radcliff

radcliff Member

Get the MKI and turn it into a head.

I had one for a few years, and it is/was killer. For all the reasons as stated above. It does classic rock so well, can do the clean, and can do different tubes without rebiasing.

16. pfflam

pfflam Silver Supporting Member

Get an original, 1980s Reissue Mark 1 (ie: the SOB) . . . that way you won't sound like everybody else and you can be louder by a mile :) . . . . but really, they are great amps when pushed and when you bother to learn their subtleties at volume.

It may not come in tweed, but it does come wood with wicker grill

17. Charles#5

Charles#5 Member

So that's Bassman 7 - Boogie 6. Close. I found someone who has both and has the Boogie for sale. I'm gonna drive 100 miles and test them both. If I like the Boogie better I'm gonna take it home, if the Bassman wins I'm getting a new one. They're about the same price.
    Thanks for your input so far.

Cheers,

Johan.

18. mavrick10_2000

mavrick10_2000 Member

You're going to buy them both .....hehehe :AOK

19. KRosser

KRosser Member

Then I'll even it up...one more for the Mk 1 Re-ish

20. pbass2go

pbass2go Member

Cant let that happen...