59 Bassman Tube Subs

Discussion in 'Amps/Cabs Tech Corner: Amplifier, Cab & Speakers' started by ryanverbena, Oct 5, 2008.

1. ryanverbena

ryanverbena Member

My bassman LTD is currently running 5881's in the power amp and a 5AR4 rectifier. Was wondering if any mods other than rebiasing would be needed to try either KT66's or 6V6's in the power amp?

Also wondering if the same would be possible to try a 5U4GB or Weber 5R4 copper cap rectifier?

I'm new to this stuff, just know the basics of biasing really which I have no problem doing. Any additional info anyone can spin my way would be sweet :)

2. pfrischmann

pfrischmann Member

I'm sure Mike Korotopkin from bluestar will pop in, which is a very good thiung.

I believe you can use a 5u4 wich will add a bit of sag. I think the transformer can handle the current.

As far as tubes go, any NOS 6LGGB will be a huge improvement. The tung-sols are awesome but really expensive.

3. slider313

slider313 Silver Supporting Member

I happen to like the Bassman with a 5U4. It just sounds better to me.
    Try a set of the new Tung Sol 6L6GC STR's in it. I think you'll be quite surprised.

4. phsyconoodler

phsyconoodler Member

The 5R4 weber will be the same as your 5AR4 you have now.
    Always the bias needs to be ckecked when swapping tubes.
    I would suggest using a 5Y3 rectifier tube when trying 6V6's.And again,check the bias,as 6v6's can't handle lots of current.

5. merkaba22

merkaba22 Member

I have read here that JJ 6V6's think they are 6L6's and can handle near 6L6 plate voltage -- might be an option.

6. phsyconoodler

phsyconoodler Member

Yes JJ's can handle the plate voltage,but they don't need to be up there to sound good.The 5Y3 rectifier and a pair of 6v6's will give a nice breakup at a more reasonable volume.

7. imguitardan

imguitardan Member

What could I do with my Bassman reissue to make it more of a Bluesbreaker?