59 Bassman vs. 59 Bandmaster, what are the differences in tone?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by The Tone Snob, Feb 28, 2008.

1. The Tone Snob

The Tone Snob Member

And which do you prefer personally? :confused:

2. RDM

RDM Senior Member

Isn't the 59 Bandmaster less watts than the Bassman? I think it's 26 watts. Anyway...I have the Bassman LTD, and it's got a lot of bass. So much, that I find that sometimes it helps to run the bass at 3-4 depending on what I'm doing. It's also plenty loud and has nice swirly cleans.

I've played the head/cab version of the Bandmaster and still liked the Bassman better.

3. 57paf

57paf Member

4. jetlag

jetlag Member

Besides the obvious stuff - the bassman is louder, has more low end, more headroom ............ I've found that the bandmaster is actually a more crunchy, aggressive sounding amp than the bassman. And to me, the bassman is already pretty aggressive, crunchy sounding.

5. Trout

Trout Member

I played a Bandmaster the other day that had been altered with a much bigger transformer set, 3 X 10 Neo speakers and it was amazingly loud and clean. At 7 on the bright channel it was still not getting gritty. I did not have the nerve to crank it further, My ears were already ringing.

I think the 26W rating is on the low side for a 5E7, or lets say the ones I have serviced were clearly stronger than they say on the sheet.

Trout

6. es137p

es137p Supporting Member

I have the victoria 35310 bandmaster, with a bassman sized output transformer, makes the bandmaster pretty cool. Nothing can really touch a tweed bassman turned up to 8, but you rarely get to turn it up that high. Bandmaster gives it up at usable volumes. Bassman obviously has more headroom and bottom.

7. jetlag

jetlag Member

My bandmaster is a stock '58 and it's about 26 watts with a 5U4G and 5881s/6L6WGBs, it's about 30 watts with a GZ34 and 6L6GCs.