5965 inplace of 12AY7?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by tubetone74, Feb 10, 2008.

1. tubetone74

tubetone74 Member

Can I do this? I found a NOS GE JAN 5965 in an old tube box. I am using the 12AY7 now in V1 of my Clark Beaufort. Thanks for informed replies.

2. SLG

SLG Member

Yes, you can use a 5965 in place of a 12AY7. The 5965 wasn't designed as an audio tube. It was designed for early computer circuits. It's a good tube for it's designed purpose, but some people have encountered problems with microphonics. You just have to try the tube, and see how it sounds. I have many 12AV7/5965 tubes in flats. Many times they work well as a good, low-gain substitute for the 12AX7 family of tubes.

3. tubetone74

tubetone74 Member

I have many 12AV7/5965 tubes in flats.

Thanks SGL. Only thing: what are flats?

4. SLG

SLG Member

Flats= bulk packages of tubes. Instead of individual tube boxes, the tubes came in compartmented boxes with 10 x 10 rows of tubes. 100 tubes to a flat.

5. Trout

Trout Member

I have a huge assortment of 5965's and basically there is a reason they sell for as low as .99 cents on ebay. Most of them suck!

IF you find one that is not microphonic, They do not sound bad, in fact, I have a few(2) I like, but I also have a lot of both 12AV7's and 5965's that are terribly microphonic and could never be used in the V1 position.

I ran a batch through my Richter 5E3 and sorted out the few acceptable ones, But, WOW, the others would squeal terribly and uncontrollably.

Inspecting the various brands I found at least 9 different plate construction/shapes. Black Plates, Super tall Grey Plates, Tiny wrapped style plates and some that looked a lot like 12AT7's.

One of these days I'll try them out in an amp in V2 or V3 position, though I had doubts they will prove useful.

Trout