• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

59s Vs Antiquity's

bigjim

I currently have SD 59s in my Hamer Studio. What would switching to Antiquity's give me?

cap10kirk

Is there something you don't like about the 59? The 59 is a little hotter and brighter than an Antiquity. Alnico 5 vs alnico 2. And the 59 is wax potted. But they're both just slightly different flavors of PAF style pickups, with the Ants being a little more like the originals from the 50's.

cap10kirk

I like em fine. Just have heard great things about the Ants

The Ants are great, I had them in my Les Paul. But if I already had 59's, I wouldn't spend the time and money to replace them. Especially if you like the 59's. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.
A magnet swap would be a lot cheaper way to get closer to the sound of the Antiquity. Either alnico 2s or 3s.

gkoelling

I had Ants in a SG, I still miss that guitar...

BTW, you won't waste time or money trying them. Regardless of which set you prefer you'll still have a spare set of very nice pickups for the next guitar. Or, you could swap magnets as @Roe suggested. However, they still won't be the same as Antiquities.

fitz

The 59's are very nice pickups. No need to look further. I have them in the bridge of my Hamer Artist with a Seth Lover in the neck.

darthphineas

I currently have SD 59s in my Hamer Studio. What would switching to Antiquity's give me?

Ants can be referred to as softer sounding Seths. essentially the difference between a strong A2 and a degaussed A2. put an A3 in there and you could in the Skinnerburst realm.

both the Ant and the Seth are different than the 59 Model, as they are much more closer to a PAF.

what era is your 59 Model from? the relative newer ones with the polished A5 mags are considered by some as more boomy and harsh. where as the older ones that have the RCA5 magnets can sound a little more well-balanced.

bdm

Silver Supporting Member
Antiquities sound nice but being unpotted I found them a bit too prone to microphonics for my personal taste

Roe

Both the 59s and the Antiquities are PAF style pickups wound on Gibson's old Lessona 102 winder. The antiquity bridge is wound a little hotter but the main difference is the magnets and potting.

I'd try an UA5 in the neck and a UA5 or short A5 in the bridge

Da Geezer

@bigjim

If you do a magnet swap...I get mine from addictionfx on eBay. Philadelphia luthier supply is also a good source.
Around $2.50 each
No need to spend huge money on a flip'n magnet

Last edited:

sws1

Ants sound and feel a bit softer, particularly on the high end. More swirly when playing both pups together. Much more nuance. The '59s sound great, but are much stiffer by comparison.

If you play in a hard rock / metal band, the '59s are a better choice. If you play with lower gain, ants are more rewarding.

(Side note...love all the recommendations without know anything about how / what you play.)

73Fender

I have a Hamer Studio with 59s and I think they are perfect for that guitar. Actually, once out of curiosity, I tried a very popular set from a very well known winder in the Studio. I wound up putting the 59's back in. Sold the boutiques. Perfect for me at least.

LJD

I had my Antiquities potted and modded for coil splitting (in my SG standard). They're less compressed than the stock pickups, very nice sounding.

CapnRex

My 2 cents: for SD paf-style pickups, they are all going to do about the same thing. Going for higher/lower output will make a difference, but for something with a similar output it's probably not going to be worth it to switch. Save up for a new amp or something instead

jiml

Silver Supporting Member
I wouldnt go changing things just because. You will waste money and time and just give yourself headaches. All that to notice almost no difference at all.

HERESY!

This is TGP, people spend $$$$$ on swapping trem springs, caps, pickups. We send our perfectly fine Historic Les Pauls in for top recarves, fingerboard swaps, yada yada all because we can...

Roe

the throbak magnets are expensive but more vintage accourate, with weaker/degaussed magnets, than the new made in asia magnets found elsewhere (except on Suhrs)

1973Marshall

The Ants are great, I had them in my Les Paul. But if I already had 59's, I wouldn't spend the time and money to replace them. Especially if you like the 59's. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.
A magnet swap would be a lot cheaper way to get closer to the sound of the Antiquity. Either alnico 2s or 3s.

HERESY!

This is TGP, people spend $$$$$ on swapping trem springs, caps, pickups. We send our perfectly fine Historic Les Pauls in for top recarves, fingerboard swaps, yada yada all because we can...

HAHAHA

The 59s are pure bread and butter. A reason to switch is if you like something softer, spongier and with more of an airy feel. The Ants will be pretty different in offering that. Much looser and sweeter whereas the 59 would be tighter, defined and sparkle.

Both are great and I am absolutely against change for the sake of change, but Ants in that guitar would be a different enough direction if the above description is of interest.

Yooper

I swapped 59s out for Throbak SLE 101s and never looked back. They have the same unpotted A2 magnet combo as Seths, giving less harshness in the highs, more mids, and fuller bass.

I have a semi-hollow with 59s and I am replacing them with Seths, cuz I know what I like.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom