5E3 Cabinet: Mojo or Mission?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by zukini220, Feb 12, 2012.

1. zukini220

zukini220 Member

Hi, I'm about to order parts for a 5E3 build, and I can't tell the difference between the Mojo 5e3 cabinet and the Mission cabinet. The Mojo is cheaper, but I know Bruce at Mission is known for great stuff. I have called Bruce a bunch of times and sent several emails, but no response.

I know I could offset the difference in price difference by getting the full mission cabinet kit and maybe selling the c12q if possible. That would get them within $20 of each other (when i add lacquering and drilling to the mojo), so price isn't as huge a deal.

Anyone have any experience with either cabinets? Any issues with rattling? Knots in the wood? Is the mission worth the extra money?

2. thosk

thosk Silver Supporting Member

I have a Mojo 5e3 cab. No issues. I built a Weber kit for a friend and their cabs are pretty decent-same price as the Mojo, and looked pretty much identical to me.

3. VintageKnob

VintageKnob Supporting Member

You can also ask Mather about a "deep deluxe" all standard except for one inch deeper.
    Bit fuller sound. I've got two that I really like.

- D

4. hank57

hank57 Silver Supporting Member

I agree with both comments. A deeper cabinet is fuller sound. And either maker will make a fine cab. If it was a Dumble copy or Vibrolux I think the cab would matter a lot more nut for a tweed deluxe you just need a solid cab that will not vibrate to a rattle.

Also think of a piece of foam weather stripping on the chassis where it is in contact with the back panel. Vibration can make a bit of noise there.

5. zukini220

zukini220 Member

Went with the Mission cab btw. It came in the mail today (ordered it on Tuesday morning and it got here on a Thursday!)

The cab is pretty nice. A few small tight knots on the sides, and what looks like one BIG knot on the bottom, and right on the front edge too. I knocked on all sides and it seems okay, but I'm nervous that the knot prevented a tight joint, and that it'll rattle eventually.

Paranoid? Please say yes.

6. freaksho

freaksho Member

i don't think the knots are a rattle issue. it's the tubes you have to worry about, lol. so i guess that's a pine cabinet then?

fyi, i built a Mojo kit a few years ago in a friend's shop and i remember having to do a few extra things i didn't expect, like drill a chassis hole and supply an extra resistor or cap that was missing. my friend had all the parts and tools necessary to finish the job so it wasn't a big deal, but if i were at home doing this alone i would have been annoyed and on the phone with customer service. i don't know how common this experience is.

i have no experience with the Mission kit.

7. hank57

hank57 Silver Supporting Member

I remember my Mission kit having more items than needed because of an upgrade on the kit. Parts leftover when your done! Mission has great stuff and they wouldn't send a cabinet wasn't going to last for fifty years. Call them and ask about it. You are a consumer.

Funny thing, I have never never never looked inside a cabinet the way you did. I have never counted or observed the size and quantity of knots in the wood of any cab I have bought. And there have been a dozen easily.

You worry a lot? Paranoid isn't the right word but maybe there isn't another word that is better.

8. keithb7

keithb7 Supporting Member

For future readers :I have bought 2 tweed fender style cabs from Bruce at Memphis Amps. He does a great job on them. He builds to order and also will customize if for you. Highly recommend. I got a 5E3 and a 5F2A cut for a 10". Here they both are:

[​IMG]

9. JackD

JackD Gold Supporting Member

Are the cabinets laquered?
    Are these guys in the Midwest (like Wisconsin)?

10. Trout

Trout Member

Memphis Amps is in Whitewater Wisc,
    He builds a damn fine cab at very reasonable price.
    I have seen a couple of his cabs locally and they are on par with the rest of the top builders.

http://www.musicrnr.com/

11. Washburnmemphis

Washburnmemphis Member

+1 Just got one of their cabs. Bought it on Ebay.

Good quality, good price.