5e3 circuit - how much louder will a Celestion Blue sound?

Discussion in 'Amps/Cabs Tech Corner: Amplifier, Cab & Speakers' started by Echoes22, Apr 19, 2016.

1. Echoes22

Echoes22 Member

I have a 5e3 clone that I received in a trade. The amp sounds great but is a bit quiet with a full band and no mic. It currently has a reissue C12Q which is rated at 95db. Would putting something rated around 100db like a Celestion Blue make it loud enough to hang with something like a stock Deluxe Reverb Reissue?

2. pdf64

pdf64 Member

If the DRRI has a C12K then you may still be a bit outgunned by it, especially in the bass and low mids.
    But if each guitarist gives the other some space it should be workable.

3. robrob

robrob Member

The DRRI has fixed bias so quite a bit more output. You might need to go more efficient like a Red Fang or JBL.

4. zenas

zenas Member

You're definitely going to gain a lot of volume going from a 95 db to 100 or so dbs. From there it depends on how loud the other guys playing the DRRI.

5. Khromo

Khromo Supporting Member

I've got an Alnico Blue in a silverface Princeton Reverb. I get told to turn that amp down all the time!

That Blue is very efficient, and it sounds sensational. I had it in a Clark 5E3 for a while, and it was the best speaker I've ever had in that amp. It was brighter, and more clear and articulate than anything else I loaded into that amp. It made that amp sparkle a lot more than you would expect from a 5E3.

A buddy has an Eminence Wizard in his 5E3 and that amp screams. It is very loud and present. At about 1/3 the price of a Blue with a slightly higher efficiency rating, it may be worth a try.