1. wavey63

wavey63 Member

My deluxe is being a pain. I had trouble with the rectifier tube not working, swapped it out and that is fine. Now the pilot light is not working. I visually checked the wiring and it looked fine. Also when on the bench the light worked. Any ideas to narrow down the search? Thanks guys.

2. Blue Strat

Blue Strat Member

Sterling, VA (not far from Washington DC)
    More information needed. Who built the amp? Has it ever worked correctly? Have you checked the fuse?

3. Nolatone Ampworks

Nolatone Ampworks Member

How long have you had this amp? Could be just a flaky bulb. Did you change the bulb?

Are all the tubes glowing? If so, the filament supply is working (at least enough to make the heaters glow). When on the bench, wiggle the leads to the pilot socket and see if you can get the light to go on/off. That would indicate a bad wire or solder joint feeding the pilot socket.

Of course, make sure you know and follow the safety rules!

4. Trout

Trout Member

As flaky as those #47 bulbs are these days, it would not surprise me at all if the bulb is bad. If it is one of those common fender style lamp brackets sold by darn near everyone.
    The bulb has almost no clearance when the jewel is screwed in, the amps vibration combined with the sloppy bayonet mount will rattle and hit the metal rim.

I chased that down once as a rattling noise and ended up putting a piece of heat shrink on the bulb leaving only a small hole in the end.
    Have not had one fail since.

5. wavey63

wavey63 Member

I built the amp abd it has worked for a year. I did try the chopstick method but found no loose connections. I did not look at the bulb itself though. I know that it is usually the most obvious. I will try again when I get home from work. thanks guys!

6. guitarsnguns04

guitarsnguns04 Member

I would probably check for voltage at the lamp and go from there.

7. mbratch

mbratch Member

Are these the only two issues you know of?

If you checked voltages on the pilot light and they look consistent, even with some poking/wriggling of wiring using a nonconductive probe, then perhaps just try changing the bulb.

8. Ronsonic

Ronsonic Member

A: Check the bulb.*

B: In the process of A you will be manipulating the bulb, pressing it in and turning to remove it. Do this with the power on. If you see the lamp come on the problem may be a poor connection between bulb and socket. A shot of DeOxit and some exercise is in order.

C: Handy tip - Use about 1-1/2" of masking tape to reach in and wrap around the lamp to make it easier to grab and turn.

* Dude! When a lightbulb goes out in your home do you take stuff apart and check the wiring first?

9. wavey63

wavey63 Member

Thanks for the help. The reason I looked in the amp was because of the rectifier being intermitant and the bulb going on and off then quitting completely, not because I like more work!!! :)

10. wavey63

wavey63 Member

After further inspection I am also getting an ugly noise when playing loud. Sounds like a scratching or midrangy fart almost. It dies out fairly quickly and is only when cranked. I am assuming a bad solder joint as it is still fairly new with low hours on it. About 5 total.

11. wavey63

wavey63 Member

After some probing with the chicken stick it seems that the noise may be from the input jack on the bright channel. It is in tight but when I poke the jack itself the same noise comes through. Also while playing the pilot light came back on and is still on. I also poked that for a while and could not get It to go out. Is it likely that the solder joints are bad? Otherwise I am loving it right now.

12. SLBlues

SLBlues Member

The pilot lamp on my Richter 5e3 quit working last night. I am assuming its the bulb and will go get some today and replace it. However, I was wondering if any damage is being done by operating the amp with the light out. Is it used to complete any circuits that are necessary? TIA

Trout, thanks for the shrink tubing tip !

13. skipm45

skipm45 Member

The pilot light is connected to the filament supply. If the lamp quit working but tha amp kept working it,s probably a bad bulb, or socket.
    No, playing the amp without the pilot light won't cause any damage.

Skip
    www.skipzcircuits.com

14. Trout

Trout Member

On the bulb sitution, If the solder joints on the tabs/bracket are good, and the bulb is now working, It might just be contact tarnish.

That little bead of lead on the end of the bulb can tarnish/oxidize over a period of time. Then there is the little brass contact in the bulb socket, they tarnish as well. Generally a few wipes with a pen eraser will clean them up.

Heck, maybe the bulb filament re-attched itself. Sort of like hitting a car fender to make a headlight come back on LOL

They just dont make those bulbs like they used to. And the F style brackets are not much better.

15. SLBlues

SLBlues Member

Thanks for the answer Skip. A new bulb took care of it.