• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

5e3 speaker options

o6 oly white

Hello everyone,
I just got a new fender 57 custom deluxe. The speaker is the alnico special designed for fender eminance 12.
This is my first 5e3 type of amp, so I'm still getting acquainted with the way the controls work. I wanted to find out about the speaker that it has, but can't find much info on it. Is it efficient? Does it have a long break in period? Is it considered to be a good match for the amp? I see less than favorable reviews on the ceramic special designed speaker.
What speaker are you using?

Major Dude

I've tried a few.....

Weber Signature 12 alnico
Sounded pretty nice but it was flabby on the low end and the early breakup left me needing more headroom to be able to use the 5e3 as a gigging amp.

Celestion G12H 30w Anniversary
Greatly increased the headroom & volume, nice top end but too much bass for my taste with this circuit

Scumback M75 65w
I have tried this speaker with all my 112 amps, it never disappoints but its heart belongs with my 61 Bassman

Celestion Blue
Purchased new specifically for the 5e3 but I absolutely HATED this speaker so much that I put it straight back in the box. On consideration I couldn't accept that I was so far off the mark with the purchase so I gave it a second chance (after 2 days solid breaking it in with a signal generator and lots of QOTSA). I'm so pleased I did as the 5e3 + Celestion Blue combo is superb. Tightened up the bass, increased headroom/volume, chimey cleans, mids cut through the mix great, takes my OD/FUZZ pedals real good and delivers sweet, singing alnico goodness when pushed....and we have a winner!

Last edited:

easyed

Post aborted. I was unable to fine a 12" alnico speaker in the Eminence website. I've had wonderful experience with the Emi 1028k, but it's a 10" speaker.

dcbc

My Magic 5e3 came with a Weber 12A125. I love the way it sounds. My Clark 5f4 sounds great with the 10A125 speakers. So I continued the tradition by pulling the ceramic Eminence speakers from my Victoria Bassman and popping in a quad of Weber 10A125s. Love the way they sound.

hank57

Silver Supporting Member
Play it as is for a month then check back in. Don't change anything till find what the amp is all about. Then if you are looking for something different consider a different speaker.

oldhousescott

Gold Supporting Member
I was unable to fine a 12" alnico speaker in the Eminence website
There's the EJ-1240 and the Red Fang, both alnico. The EJ is a more American flavor and probably more suited for the dlx. The RF is a great speaker, but will take things in a decidedly British direction. I would concur with dcbc on the Weber 12A125. Great speaker for a dlx.

o6 oly white

Does anyone know about the specially made for fender eminence that's in it? All I can come up with is info on the ceramic version. It does sound good.

GrungeMan

I don't think it's broke in it yet? Can't see Fender putting a poor speaker into a 5E3 and Eminence has several good 12's for a 5E3. It should sound sweet and compressed when broke in.

clcwarlock

Does anyone know about the specially made for fender eminence that's in it? All I can come up with is info on the ceramic version. It does sound good.
Keep playing it loud, it will get better. I've had my 57 Custom Shop Deluxe since last December. Btw it's an Alnico speaker emenence made for fender so it's not on there web site. Other 5E3 users have put in Celestion blue Alnico such as the edge and Keith Richards. It all depends what your going for though. I think it sounds great as is once the speaker breaks in of course.

o6 oly white

Keep playing it loud, it will get better. I've had my 57 Custom Shop Deluxe since last December. Btw it's an Alnico speaker emenence made for fender so it's not on there web site. Other 5E3 users have put in Celestion blue Alnico such as the edge and Keith Richards. It all depends what your going for though. I think it sounds great as is once the speaker breaks in of course.
Thanks. I think it already sounds good. Can't wait for it to break in.
Loud? Yeah, this amp can do loud. Do you gig with yours?

John s

Timely thread,
I was thinking about the same thing. I bought a used '57 custom deluxe and I've thought about swapping the speaker with a Weber 12a-125-5 that I have stashed away or a well broken in Celestion alnico Cream (the massive bell housing on the cream won't clear the tube "cage") ,that I have from another amp. But.....I agree with what Grugeman said: The eminence alnico that is stock in the Custom Deluxe is pretty well matched with this amp and sounds pretty darn good. Don't you agree?
The Deluxe is a $2,000 amp that has orange caps, "hardwired" point to point, etc. The stock Eminence sounds fantastic . Why mess with a good thing? (IMHO).
P.S. one thing I did do was swap out the stock JJ 12AY-7 preamp tube for an NOS RCA 12AY-7 that brought down the volume a tad, as well as some of the harshness & made for smoother, "creamier" pre amp gain.

o6 oly white

Timely thread,
I was thinking about the same thing. I bought a used '57 custom deluxe and I've thought about swapping the speaker with a Weber 12a-125-5 that I have stashed away or a well broken in Celestion alnico Cream (the massive bell housing on the cream won't clear the tube "cage") ,that I have from another amp. But.....I agree with what Grugeman said: The eminence alnico that is stock in the Custom Deluxe is pretty well matched with this amp and sounds pretty darn good. Don't you agree?
The Deluxe is a $2,000 amp that has orange caps, "hardwired" point to point, etc. The stock Eminence sounds fantastic . Why mess with a good thing? (IMHO).
P.S. one thing I did do was swap out the stock JJ 12AY-7 preamp tube for an NOS RCA 12AY-7 that brought down the volume a tad, as well as some of the harshness & made for smoother, "creamier" pre amp gain.
Yeah, fun amp for sure. I'll leave it as is

John s

Yeah, fun amp for sure. I'll leave it as is
Not to carry this on, but when you think about it, The original Fender tweed amps had speakers in them with whoever Fender had a contract with (there were no boutique aftermarket speakers at the time). So they were equipped with Jensen, Oxford, or whatever. Mass produced . Now, its if you can find an original Deluxe or Bassman ( & cash in your savings to afford one), they are tonal nirvanna and worth so much more money with the original "cheap" Jensen's ..even if they have been re-coned , than they would be with an aftermarket speaker.
P.S> Some reviewer on the inter web said this amp would need to be miked for gigging because it's only 12 Watts. I gigged with mine last week and even with a loud drummer I couldn't turn it up past 3 before being asked to turn down (in a 100 seat club) So an attenuator may be in my future to tame this beast:)

Last edited:

o6 oly white

Not to carry this on, but when you think about it, The original Fender tweed amps had speakers in them with whoever Fender had a contract with (there were no boutique aftermarket speakers at the time). So they were equipped with Jensen, Oxford, or whatever. Mass produced . Now, its if you can find an original Deluxe or Bassman ( & cash in your savings to afford one), they are tonal nirvanna and worth so much more money with the original "cheap" Jensen's ..even if they have been re-coned , than they would be with an aftermarket speaker.
P.S> Some reviewer on the inter web said this amp would need to be miked for gigging because it's only 12 Watts. I gigged with mine last week and even with a loud drummer I couldn't turn it up past 3 before being asked to turn down (in a 100 seat club) So an attenuator may be in my future to tame this beast:)
It's true. Whatever leo used was probably whatever worked and what he could get a good deal on. His amps became the sound of music that we still chase.
Furthermore, and not to derail my own thread, I'm surprised fender made the 5e3. Everything I've read about him in the beginning tells of how he didn't want his amps distorting at all. That sound was an indication that something was wrong to him. Tube distortion wasn't what players were into yet.
So, I wonder what his intentions were with the 5e3.

keithb7

I have tried the the following speakers in an original 1959 5E3:

Stock Jensen P12N
WGS ET-65
WGS G12Q
Weber 12A125 30W

The stock Jensen started to make noise. I pulled it. The Weber 30W is my preferred keeper. The 30W version seems to help tighten up the loose bass when cranked.
Second after the Weber, the G12Q. It's pretty darn good in there too.

A 5E3 can be played clean and full sounding. By using the second volume knob, bass can be rolled in nicely when clean. Leo designed the amp to be clean at a certain volume. It was considered a student's, play at home amp. Played clean, that's about its limit. If you wanted louder clean, you graduated up to a Super, Pro, or Twin for example.

Deluxes since the 60's are mostly being played cranked up to full-on tube saturation. Then yes, they can hang with a drummer.

Leo never intended this. I wonder at what point Leo cringed when he heard his tweed amps cranked to distortion? Keith Richards? I'll guess Leo shook his head at Neil Young all thru the 70's with the gawd awful cranked Deluxe. Lol.

Last edited:

o6 oly white

I have tried the the following speakers in an original 1959 5E3:

Stock Jensen P12N
WGS ET-65
WGS G12Q
Weber 12A125 30W

The stock Jensen started to make noise. I pulled it. The Weber 30W is my preferred keeper. The 30W version seems to help tighten up the loose bass when cranked.
Second after the Weber, the G12Q. It's pretty darn good in there too.

A 5E3 can be played clean and full sounding. By using the second volume knob bass can be rolled in nicely when clean. Leo designed the amp to be clean at a certain volume. It was considered a student, play at home amp. Played clean, that's about its limit. If you wanted louder clean, you graduated up to a Super, Pro, or Twin for example.

Deluxes since the 60's are mostly being played cranked up to full-on tube saturation. Then yes, they can hang with a drummer.

Leo never intended this. I wonder at what point Leo cringed when he heard his tweed amps cranked to distortion? Keith Richards? I'll guess Leo shook his head at Neil Young all thru the 70's with the gawd awful cranked Deluxe. Lol.
Maybe he learned to accept it. It blows my mind that an electronics nerd non musician completely revolutionized the sound of music over and over again. Tele, p bass, amps, strat.. all bullseyes. There's definitely a before and after fender difference.

keithb7

It should be noted that Leo was in the right place at the right time. He started out Fender pretty much alone. Doc was gone. The early Model 26 amps were no real prizes. He moved on to surround himself with great employees who were totally engaged in their work. Leo listened to musicians. He tried to implement their ideas. His team did so, very effectively. Leo did not do this alone. He did not single-handedly revolutionize music. Leo indeed was a tinkerer. He failed at many things too. If it were not for the tireless efforts of Don Randall, Freddy Tavares, all his district sales Reps, all his Musician friends like Dick Dale, Bill Carson, and many more, Leo may not have found so much success.

o6 oly white

It should be noted that Leo was in the right place at the right time. He started out Fender pretty much alone. Doc was gone. The early Model 26 amps were no real prizes. He moved on to surround himself with great employees who were totally engaged in their work. Leo listened to musicians. He tried to implement their ideas. His team did so, very effectively. Leo did not do this alone. He did not single-handedly revolutionize music. Leo indeed was a tinkerer. He failed at many things too. If it were not for the tireless efforts of Don Randall, Freddy Tavares, all his district sales Reps, all his Musician friends like Dick Dale, Bill Carson, and many more, Leo may not have found so much success.
I'm glad it worked out.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom