5E3 tweed Deluxe/12AX7 question

Discussion in 'Amps/Cabs Tech Corner: Amplifier, Cab & Speakers' started by jpervin, Jul 24, 2006.

1. jpervin

jpervin Member

I recently built a 5E3 tweed Deluxe clone. In the preamp slots, I put in (2) Tung Sol RI 12AX7s. This amp will start to break up around 3 on the volume knobs. While I like the early breakup from the amp, the breakup itself sounds kinda spikey and brittle. Not overly brittle, but it could still use some smoothing out.
    Any suggestions for tube substitutions in the preamp slots to help the amp's natural overdrive sound more pleasing?

2. michael patrick

michael patrick Supporting Member

I found the reissue Tung Sols to be really bright. I usually run a 5751 in the first slot in my 5E3 clones, it gives me a touch more headroom and smooths out the sound as well. You can get good quality American-made NOS 5751s pretty cheap.

Another thought -- is the speaker brand new? Sometimes they need to be pounded on a while before the distortion tones smooth out some.

3. jpervin

jpervin Member

Yes, the speaker is a new Weber Signature Series alnico and, yes I'm waiting for it to break in, which I know will smooth out the sound even more. It sounds good now, but I can tell it's a bit stiff.

How much less gain does the 5751 put out as opposed to the 12AX7?

4. michael patrick

michael patrick Supporting Member

Gain factors:

12AX7 = 100
    5751 = 70
    12AT7 = 60
    12AY7 = 45
    12AV7 = 41
    12AU7 = 19

Of course, individual tubes within a type will have more or less gain, but this gives you a rough idea of how much gain each type can be expected to give you.

5. jpervin

jpervin Member

I didn't know a 5V4 would work with 6V6s. How would that change the tonal characteristics of the Deluxe?

6. hasserl

hasserl Member

I've found that a 12AY7 in V1 works very well with the 5E3 circuit. YIOu still have PLENTY of gain, it will still start to breakup at 3, but the breakup is more pleasant. BY rolling the guitar volume back you can get very nice clean tones out of it.

7. Blue Strat

Blue Strat Member

Sterling, VA (not far from Washington DC)
  8. slider313

slider313 Silver Supporting Member

I actually like the 5751 as a phase inverter in my '61 Martin 112(a 5E3 circut with bigger trannys) and the 12ax7 in V1. This gives me more clean headroom by providing less drive to the power tubes. I also use an original C12N in place of the P12R.[​IMG]

9. NatStrat79

NatStrat79 Member

I would say let that speaker break in first. I had one of the Weber Signature Alnicos in a 5E3 clone and it sounded very spikey and harsh untill it broke in.