5e3 with master volume?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by rollyfoster, May 3, 2016.

1. rollyfoster

rollyfoster Supporting Member

I want to delve into the world of the tweed deluxe, however I realize that it's gonna get pretty damn loud for what I want from it.

Is there a point to getting one with a MV? Is there a fully functioning version and if so sho makes one and would it still have the interactive volumes or is it just a tweed-like circuit?

2. dmagalhaes

dmagalhaes Supporting Member

I'm sure somebody could build you one but I'll bet it would never sound the same. They aren't really that loud to begin with if you have a Jensen in it; after about three on the Normal channel, it's maxed out volume wise and just gets dirtier.

3. Silent Sound

Silent Sound Member

The volume controls on the 5e3 is basically a pair of master volumes already. There's no preamp volume on that amp. The volume controls are not a post phase inverter style, but it's located just before the phase inverter like most traditional master volumes (like you'd find on most Marshall and Mesa style amps). You could install a PPIMV, but it wouldn't do you much good. The Tweed Deluxe amps get their signature tone from power tube and OT saturation, unlike most modern amp designs.

The best way to control the volume of that amp and still get it's signature drive sound is with an attenuator.

4. Gallery

Gallery Supporting Member

^^^^ This... all the good dirt in a 5e3 comes from the power section.

5. shakeshakeshake

shakeshakeshake Member

Does anyone build a 5e3 with a built in attenuator or power scaling?

6. lespaulnmarshall

lespaulnmarshall Member

Lazy J20 can be ordered with a VAC control. That's kind of similar to power scaling I believe. It isn't exactly a 5E3 though...

7. bassethound

bassethound Member

I've never played one but isn't the Divided by 13 CJ11 basically a more tweakable 5E3 with a master?

Last edited: May 3, 2016
  8. PurpleJesus

PurpleJesus Staff Member

Get a 5e3 and use the Swart Night Light Jr. to attenuate it. You can just screw it onto the inside of the cabinet and never even see it and still crank the amp without waking the neighbors