5e3,?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by go7, Jan 15, 2008.

1. go7

go7 Member

I have a Mission 5E3 kit combo, stock 6V6`s. Can I run JAN 6L6 WGB as power tubes?Tonal difference? Thanks to all who chime in.

2. SatelliteAmps

SatelliteAmps Member

As long as you adjust for the bias, you can run them. Should sound a bit tighter, but it really depends when it comes to old tubes. Worth trying if you are up for it. Might sound good.

3. go7

go7 Member

I thought the 5E3 was self biasing. Is this only for interchanging 6V6 tubes?

4. SatelliteAmps

SatelliteAmps Member

Even when interchanging 6V6 tubes the bias might need to be changed. When changing to a 6L6 there is a large difference in the bias requirement.

The 5E3 is a cathode biased circuit, but that doesn't mean it is always the correct bias. Just that it is a bit more forgiving when swapping tubes.

5. hasserl

hasserl Member

It'd be best to make sure the cathode resistor is a 10 watt capacity. I'd just check with Bruce Collins at Mission Amps for his advice.

6. myfoot

myfoot Member

I'm pretty sure you need the upgraded OT to run 6l6s in that amp.Email Bruce and ask though, he's great to deal with.