5E7/5E5A/5F4 Circuit in a 4-10 Bassman type cab??

wreckmarkT

Gold Supporting Member
I'm thinking of a custom build tweed bandmaster/pro/super build in a Bassman cab/speaker configuration. What do you think??

I gave 4 Tone Tubby low power Humbolt speakers coming and Peter Mather ready to build my cab.
Thinking I don't need quite the 5F6-A Bassman power, but would like the 4 speakers vs 3 in a bandmaster style amp.

What would be any pros or cons with this idea??

Figaro

You know what I think. ;) It would be awesome!

You would have a couple of speaker impedance options because you can wire four 8 ohm speakers for 2 or 8 ohms. You could use the Classic Tone model 40-18105 output transformer that gives 2-4-8 ohms.

Benny

Platinum Supporting Member
I think this is a good idea. I had a Victoria 35310 in a bassman-sized cab (but still 3x10's) for a while, and I should have never, ever sold that amp. That circuit with the slightly larger cab just worked with everything, from strats and teles to LPs, 335s and hollowbodies, to lap steels - full and fat, good midrange, but never boxy or nasal at all.

The main potential downsides I see on going to a four-speaker set up for that amp is the slight increase in weight (a Humboldt is what, 3 pounds? plus the delta for the larger cab) and the decrease in speaker breakup (if you're trying to push the speakers into breakup).

I'm thinking of a custom build tweed bandmaster/pro/super build in a Bassman cab/speaker configuration. What do you think??

I gave 4 Tone Tubby low power Humbolt speakers coming and Peter Mather ready to build my cab.
Thinking I don't need quite the 5F6-A Bassman power, but would like the 4 speakers vs 3 in a bandmaster style amp.

What would be any pros or cons with this idea??

That's a similar setup to what Dan Auerbach is running. Our Humboldts are secret weapons!!!

duckbunny

I think this is a good idea. I had a Victoria 35310 in a bassman-sized cab (but still 3x10's) for a while, and I should have never, ever sold that amp. That circuit with the slightly larger cab just worked with everything, from strats and teles to LPs, 335s and hollowbodies, to lap steels - full and fat, good midrange, but never boxy or nasal at all.

Couldn't agree more. I have the same Vicky...man,what a great amp! Everything sounds amazing through it.

-db

Aslan

I had Victoria Amps build me a Harvard circuit amp into a tweed bassman cabinet, it is only 14 watts but i have played with a 3 piece band with no problems.

bgio

Silver Supporting Member

The main potential downsides I see on going to a four-speaker set up for that amp is the slight increase in weight (a Humboldt is what, 3 pounds? plus the delta for the larger cab) and the decrease in speaker breakup (if you're trying to push the speakers into breakup).

I also own one of these. It won't be going anywhere.

GrungeMan

Great idea, thinking outside the, err box??? Anyways I've built several 5E3's and have used 1x10, 2x10, 3x10, 4x10, 2x12, 1x15 cab configurations, more people should do so the variety of tone is endless...

Bob Arbogast

Gold Supporting Member
Some years ago I did a hopped up tweed Vibrolux chassis in a 4x10 Bassman cabinet. Nice combo that was!

5F611-Aback.jpg

Trending Topics

Top Bottom