5e7 bandmaster vs 6g16 vibroverb?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by glblues, Apr 18, 2008.

1. glblues

glblues Member

i currently have a 5e7 bandmaster which i use in my blues bands, but i find that i do need a bit of a cleaner sound and sometimes a bit more punchy sound for certain applications and a bit of a tighter bass.
    yes, i like the slightly dirty cleans that my 5e7 gives me, but not all the time, if you get my meaning.
    at the same time, i find that blackfaces are a bit too clean for my likes, hence the idea to build a 6g16 vibroverb, an inbetween tweed and BF. plus with the reverb and trem in it. its the perfet grab and go amp.
    the problem is that i cant find any reviews of the circuit. experiences from people who have built one or used one or any reasonable youtube clips of the sound, this has been immensely frustrating. so i am unwilling to take the plunge without at least hearing some clips of it.
    is the volume going to be similar? will i get more clean headroom or similar?
    can anyone help out here?

2. Trout

Trout Member

If it were me, and I wanted a 5E7 cleaned up, I would replace that tiny OPT. I can comment on this after playing a several converted units.
    There is a ton of clean available in the overall circuit design, The output transformer is the principal reason it grits up so quickly.

If you install a Tweed Bassman style output transformer you will be amazed at the level of punch and headroom you can get. The one drawback is the level of volume that breakup occurs, It is nearly double!
    AES sells a transformer that is not overly expensive and really pulls off this mod perfectly.

P-TF18343

I have installed a few of these for guys having the same problem. Word of warning though, it adds a full 3+ lbs to the amp.

Trout

3. glblues

glblues Member

hey, thanks for replying :)

i have weber 10a125s and mercury magnetics in the amp if that helps.

i have sovteks in them which might add to the problem, but they shouldnt affect the headroom. (?)
    will definitely look into the OT swap.

4. Moods

Moods Supporting Member

If you are talkin' a real 6G16 not a reissue (quite different) the vibroverb will have more headroom than the 5E7. A 6G16 with decent speakers is a thing of beauty. Both are great amps for different jobs IMO.

<M

5. tommytomcat

tommytomcat Member

1. When using p90's or h/b's, plug into the #2 hole.
    2. Pull one of the 10A125's and replace it with an efficeint ceramic. I have an Emi Legend 1058 (75w, higher spl, 1.5" vc). The alnico's get somewhat loose as the volume goes up. The ceramic will add a cleaner layer along with the alnico sweetness and crunch. I put a Weber beam blocker on my ceramic 10.
    3. 12ay7 in v1 (I'm using a 12av7 $5.55 from AES.. NOS) and 12at7's in v2 & V3. A 5751 in v1 and 12at7's in v2 & v3 works pretty well too.) This will help with stage to stage ODing.
    4. Pull or lower the cathode bypass cap on the cathode follower driver triode. .1uF to 5uF.
    5. Put another 16-20uF filter cap in parallel with the first filter cap (or install 1 40uF 450-500v). (the one that feeds the OT). This tightens and cleans up the bass... makes it feel stiffer.. but the treble and mids will stay touch sensitive.
    6. As suggested before.. and I would do this last.. Put a Bassman OT in there.
    7. Keep the treb/bass below 6.. This is a cool thing, but they OD the PI driver when they're turned up past 6.
    8. Upping the cap on the presence pot to .2uF to 1uf. @ 400-600v, these caps can get quite large.. So try to find one that is 100-200v. The nonpolarized .68 cathod bypass caps they use in Marshalls work pretty well. W#ber sells .22 & .47uF caps that arn't too large. This will make your presence ctl more effective and clean up the tone some as it's turned up.
    9. Put the 10pf/220k combo on your guitars volume pots.. This will keep things sparkly when you roll the volume down.
    10. Us metal film or 1w carbon film's for your plate load resistors. This will only make a slight difference at higher volumes.
    11. Use decent to high quality film/foil coupling caps.. PIO's, Sozo, Mojo Dijon's, the polyster OJ's.

My main amp is a Weber 5e7 kit and I'm a big fan of the circuit and speaker combo. But I never need to be loud clean except on the shuffles in E type stuff. For blues.. old school swing.. jazz kissed blues.. roots r&r.. jump.. old stones.. etc.. This circuit is 'IT' for un mic'd small-medium sized club work. IMO. The brown era amps are very very cool, but they're a different animal from the tweed cathode follower style amp circuits. The brown circuits are really just fatter sounding black faces with sometimes a fancy trem circuit. You're not going to get the kind of pick dynamics, touch sensitive, volume/tone control dynamics out of them like you do your 5e7. Anyway, I've rambled on enough.. best wishes on your cleaner tone quest. If you live in the Dallas/Ft. Worth area, I'd be glad to do some of these mods for free if you want.. email me.

6. Trout

Trout Member

If you did this first, you would need the rest of the list, well ok except the speakers.

Try (3) 10/100 Jensen Neo's and buy hearing protection :D