5f6-a circuit (Tweed Bassman)

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by corn husk bag, Feb 26, 2012.

1. corn husk bag

corn husk bag Silver Supporting Member

I was able to play through an old 1960 Tweed Bassman recently for a short time. Are there any clones or other amps that can do what the old original Tweed Bassman can do? Locally I have heard yays and nays on the subject.
    Or perhaps a Silver Face of some sort can be modded to get the Tweed Bassman tone, and to what degree?
    Thank you.

Kind Regards,
    Steve

2. bandmaster

bandmaster Member

3. '58Bassman

'58Bassman Member

Clones come close but Silver or Black Face don't. Supposedly, some people say their mods make a SF or BF Fender sound like a Tweed amp, but I would have to hear it to believe. The circuits are completely different and that's the reason. If you keep your eyes open on ebay, etc, you may be able to find a 5F6-a that's not pristine, but still does what you want. Amps like this are called 'players' because they're not so clean that they should just sit in a locked room. Mine is a player because when I bought it, all I got was the amp chassis- no cabinet or speakers were present and I think it may have been dropped hard enough that the cabinet broke apart, based on the bowed metal in the area of the rectifier tube. Still sounds great, though.

If you find a working time machine, let me know.

4. corn husk bag

corn husk bag Silver Supporting Member

Thanks '58Bassman and Bandmaster! Anyone else care to give thoughts on this?

Kind Regards,
    Steve

5. Scooter Burbank

Scooter Burbank Member

There are a lot of good "clones" out there. Victoria, as has been mentioned, makes an excellent version called the 45410. This is almost certainly a better route to go than buying a modded silverface, in my opinion.

6. Bluewail

Bluewail Tone curmudgeon Silver Supporting Member

While Vicky most certainly makes a nice bassman repro, having had one I'd have to say I prefer the Fender Bassman LTD. Give it a try. No comparison from a build perspective but tone-wise, it really outshines the Vicky IMHO

7. Alvis

Alvis Member

C'mon over....

8. paulg

paulg Supporting Member

It would be hard to duplicate a fifty year old amp. Component values have drifted, speakers are broken in, or reconed etc. So many variables. The Vicky, LTD or other clones will get you close to what a new one would have sounded like in 1960. Great amps.