5U4 in place of a 5AR4?

Discussion in 'Amps/Cabs Tech Corner: Amplifier, Cab & Speakers' started by Sean, Aug 18, 2006.

1. Sean

Sean Supporting Member

I have one of the new Vibroverbs with a rectifier switch (ss/tube). The tube chart calls for a 5AR4. I notice NO difference in sag between the 2. The only thing the 5AR4 does is mush it up at high volume a little bit. The 5AR4 is a NOS RCA.

I put a 5U4 in- it sounds good and gives me a bit of sag at low volumes. I have done some reading that a 5U4 is a 3A filament while a 5AR4 is a 2A filament. I want to be sure that my transformer is going to be OK. The 5U4 that I have on hand is from Groove Tubes if that makes a difference.

I took a look at what the bias was doing when switching the rectifier switch- with the amp at 35mv the bias jumps up about 5mv when I engage the switch and use the 5AR4. When I put the 5U4 in and switch it on I get a drop of 2-3mv.

Is the 5U4 safe in this amp? I obviously don't want to wreck anything, but it seems that from everything that I have been able to read that it is a fairly safe swap if your transformers are healthy.

2. brad347

brad347 Member

probably OK. Those transformers are generally over spec'ed a lil bit. Don't take my word for it though, wait for the real experts to weigh in.

3. ES350

ES350 Member

Run it awhile and see it the PT is running hot---you are drawing 1 amp more than the PT is designed for (a non-trivial amount). While it's true that older Fenders were somewhat tolerant of larger current draws, who knows about the new stuff...? If you want more voltage drop than a 5AR4 with no increase in current draw, try a 5V4 (1 amp) instead of the 5U4 (2 amps).

4. brad347

brad347 Member

good point! Listen to him!

5. Blue Strat

Blue Strat Member

Sterling, VA (not far from Washington DC)
    Best case, don't let incorrect specs (1 and 2 amps per above) or your "hand thermometer" influence your judgement.

Get a 5R4GB for under $20 and get 5U4 performance with only 2 amps (like a 5AR4) heater current.

6. Sean

Sean Supporting Member

Thanks guys. I think I have a 5R4 in my stash- have to look.

7. ES350

ES350 Member

Sorry for the misinfo---I stand corrected. But if you do need one, see Mike...

8. billyguitar

billyguitar Member

A 5V4 can give a bit more sag in some amps. I swapped rectifiers around in my Maz 38 one time. The stock tube is a 5AR4. The 5u4G felt slower but didn't seem to sag. The 5V4 reduced the output but really didn't seem to sag but I only had it 1/2 up. I am using the 5V4 in my Stang Ray for the reduced volume. 5Y3s are not recommended in the larger amps.