5Y3 vs 5V4...

Discussion in 'Amps/Cabs Tech Corner: Amplifier, Cab & Speakers' started by cyguitar, Feb 9, 2012.

1. cyguitar

cyguitar Member

What are the differences in sound, feel, etc.?

2. Blue Strat

Blue Strat Member

Sterling, VA (not far from Washington DC)
    Assuming you're starting with a 5Y3GT and your amp won't melt down when switching to a 5V4 (rectifier changes aren't plug-in-play without knowing a few details) you'll get higher voltages, tighter bass and more brightness IF your output transformer is capable of producing more power. Rebiasing is likely required, even in a cathode biased amp, for best results and/or to avoid destroying your power tubes.

What amp are we talking about?

3. donnyjaguar

donnyjaguar Member

This is one of those questions that shouldn't be allowed in the amp technical forum. :)
    That said, the feel of the two tubes is much the same as they are both made of glass. As for the sound, when you drop them from 2m onto concrete slab they sound largely identical.

4. TweeDLX

TweeDLX Member

:rotflmao:rotflmao:rotflmao:rotflmao
    Stop it! Yer killin' me!

5. Blue Strat

Blue Strat Member

:rotflmao:rotflmao:rotflmao:rimshot I'll be here all week, don't forget to try the veal!

6. cyguitar

cyguitar Member

Goodsell Super 17. I just picked it up used, and it came with a GE 5V4. Richard Goodsell recommended a 5Y3. I emailed him and told about the 5V4 being in there, he said. "The GE is a good tube, and I probably wouldn't swap it out - I recommend the JJ5Y3S because it is the first reliable new production 5Y3 in many years. If you use that tube, you'll lower the plate voltage, which translates to a softer feel, and longer power tube life."

7. jamesrsmith

jamesrsmith Supporting Member

those answers were pretty funny, posts or emails should be limited to "meet me at johnnys burger shop after you take the kids to moms tonight after work.", ,, i bought a super 17 from richard g way back when, new, and at that time it came with a 5y3. i later sold it. then i traded another type amp to a fellow that had a back up super 17 head, he bought it new from richard g more recently. it had a 5V4 in it,, i thought it sounded better than the first one i had. with the 5y3 i thought it sounded to liight and not as much volume, not as "loud". i have acquired a few of the old stock bendix 5y3s over the years(,i dont know about the new jj 5y3s, but if i needed a 5y3 i would buy one,but have a back up on hand.).. one from KCA mike, who is a very helpful good dealer who knows his stuff. you can also use a 5ar4 in these i think . but the 5v4 wins for me, it sounds louder and punchier. if richard goodsell described what a particular rectifier tube does in his amps, HE would have the last word. i know for a fact he painstakingly matches tubes for his amps when he sends them out, and offers matched replacement tubes for his amps at a very reasonably price. this is not a plug, as i have two dr z's , an allen, brown sugar, fender twin reverb, reeves custom 12, valvetrain 205, and a goodsell black dog 20. i think my limit for describing rectifier tube tones is "not as loud" "loud" kinda soft, a little weak. and maybe brittle, but i dont use that one too much. kinda negative. hope you like playing that amp. it is a subtle little thing. requires mic'ing at times. but great tone.

8. Blue Strat

Blue Strat Member

Ok, so you're going in the lower direction which is cool.

I've got a better idea. For a little over $20 you can get a US made 5Y3GT that will likely outlast the JJ by 20:1.

Richard already gave you input on the change of character. Any reason you're doubting him?

9. cyguitar

cyguitar Member

I wasn't doubting him, just curious what other poeple's opinion of the difference sounded and felt like.

10. big mike

big mike Moderator - EL34 Emeritas Staff Member

Yeah F a bunch of current production rectumfriers.

Get a nos for 5 bucks less. (5Y3)

11. cyguitar

cyguitar Member

Actually, Eurotubes said their JJ 5Y3 is $15.00, but yeah the price is close enough on those, I could go NOS.

12. zzmoore

zzmoore Member

Is this too big to be a "signature".....? :)