• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

6.5v / 7.2v / 9v, AAs vs. Pedal Juice, for Blackstar Fly 3

Susans_House

Hi! Quick noob AC/DC voltage electronics question incoming:

The magical mini amp Blackstar Fly 3 (2x3") takes 6.5V PSU or 6 x 1.2V AA batteries (= 7.2V)
My AAs are eneloops, rated 1.2V, min 1900mAh

My eneloop Pedal Juice produces 9V 2A (total). Can it power this amp without flames or regrets further down the road?

Haven't tried connecting the Pedal Juice to the Fly yet as the connector pin/type doesn't match - but can find one that does and would prefer it to AAs for this unit.

Did find a 9v wall wart with a matching connector, plugged it in for 15 minutes, without any smoke or tone issues.

I've emailed Blackstar some weeks ago without any response so far...you guys are usually quicker anyway :)

FWIW: This Tom Quayle review in Guitar Interactive Magazine convinced me to try the Fly 3. It costs about the same as the also great ID:Core 10 (2x6") but the Fly's size/sound ratio was just perfect for my usage.

Susans_House

bumpz

Amp is rated 6.5V PSU or 6 x 1.2V AA batteries (= 7.2V)

Can a 9V 2A (total) eneloop Pedal Juice power the amp without flames or smoke effects?

8len8

Silver Supporting Member
Check with the manufacturer, but I doubt it can handle 9V.

frankencat

Guitarded
Gold Supporting Member
Bump. How are you guys powering these? I just got one and it's a cool little critter. :)

redeyedjim

I just use the AAs on mine, but it's my travel amp and doesn't see much use at home. The AAs last a long time, FWIW.

Susans_House

I just use the AAs on mine, but it's my travel amp and doesn't see much use at home. The AAs last a long time, FWIW.
~ 2 years update. Also on AAs here, works fine, no buzz from power grid either. Local electronic store sold me a resistor diode (?) that pushes the voltage down and drew a diagram of the connectors needed. Very small footprint, just a DC jack in > diode > DC jack out. To be continued later when around a workshop and some tools.

Have searched for a power bank, preferably solar powered, with adjustable 5-12v outputs, but haven't found any yet.

zenitB

I am running mine on rechargeables, I have the AC adapter somewhere, if I can find it, I'll post the output specs for you.

jdh

Let's say 9V is too much and you have to reduce it by about 2V so the voltage into the amp is around 7V. The first way is to put 3 1N5400 diodes in series as this will reduce the voltage by about 2.1V. The other option is a series resistor. As a first approximation, let's say the amp draws about 0.5A. The size of the resistor needed to drop 2V is: 2V divided by 0.5A = 4 ohms. The resistor's power requirement is: 2V x 0.5A = 1Watt. (For exact operating current measure it)

Last edited:

Susans_House

Let's say 9V is too much and you have to reduce it by about 2V ....
Thanks jdh, I am not sure which type I got, think it is 2V though. I'll ask my electronics guy how to proceed next time we meet. Would those extra 0.5V fry the Fly?

Might be sensible to add a few other outlets while we're at it, 5V f.ex. to charge the wee Zoom H2n.

Any reason not to use the Blackstar power supply (PSU-1)? Amazon is your friend - $20.
Yes, as mentioned in OP, goal is to use the 9v Pedal Juice powerbank (~$85) when on the move instead of AAs (6 + charger for longer trips). The PJ can then power both Fly, FX box and pedal(s). At home the snake chain will be connected to a standard 9V power supply to get rid of supplies for each unit or to the PJ to reduce/avoid any grid hum if necessary.

I've got a ID:Core Stereo 20 (V1) as well which can also run on 9V from the PJ.

I found my power supply (PSU-1) 6.5V 1.5A
Thanks!

Last edited:

Susans_House

Blackstars and power supplyistas, it is my pleasure to share a minor electrical breakthrough after years of research and minor development.

My electro guy suggested to hook into the battery box instead of building the little 9V-to-6.5V thing. I am not sure how he figured out that it's OK to send 9V in that way - but it works!

PM if you would like to build the reducer thing, I'll be happy to mail the components. Power to the people!

I cut up a never used patch cable and squeezed it in.

Plus (hot) is in the left corner

One Pedal Juice to rule them all.
Looking fw to hook it up with the ID:Core as well in ste-re-oh

Last edited:

Gunner145

Blackstars and power supplyistas, it is my pleasure to share a minor electrical breakthrough after years of research and minor development.

My electro guy suggested to hook into the battery box instead of building the little 9V-to-6.5V thing. I am not sure how he figured out that it's OK to send 9V in that way - but it works!

PM if you would like to build the reducer thing, I'll be happy to mail the components. Power to the people!

I cut up a never used patch cable and squeezed it in.

Plus (hot) is in the left corner

One Pedal Juice to rule them all.
Looking fw to hook it up with the ID:Core as well in ste-re-oh

Hi there Susan, i also own this wonderful little amp, i have a 9v DC portable powerbank that i use to power my 9v DC pedals, im thinking i may be able to wire the powerbank to my BS Fly 3 so it can power my pedals and amp, could you please explain exactly how you wired this to the battery terminals of the BS Fly 3.

Any help/information would be very very much appreciated, thanks lots and lots in advance. :)

Susans_House

could you please explain exactly how you wired this to the battery terminals of the BS Fly 3
Sorry for missing your msg Gunner145, almost a year ago, did you wire it up since then? Drop a line if not.

I've sadly fried my Fly by messing up the polarity out of the powerbank and haven't replaced it.

Trending Topics