6 Pre's Compared

Discussion in 'The Rack Space' started by Leon Todd, Dec 17, 2018.

1. ctreitzell

ctreitzell Member

@Leon Todd recording and mixing voice is a different animal. I think you are representing yourself extremely well, man :)

Talking heads videos is the main bread and butter of my creative agency because we had spent many years in TV in the UK. I am the audio guy in my company. At first I approached recording and mixing/ mastering our videos with musical levels...ugh, not good!

Nowadays we record very quiet levels, actually the more quiet, the better...peaks around -20db usually on a Sound Devices 7 series (occasionally just lighting the yellow), then boost the level in DAW.

I never use any compression on voice for my applications, but as a presenter like you are doing, you can go a little more radio. That said, eq, NR and DS are critical.

When I was really hitting my head on the desk regarding final mixed voice levels with zero music was a TEDx we did in 2015. I researched hi and low and just couldn't find any actual guidelines, beyond some great podtings on gearslutz. The film course we were working alongside was telling their students -6db peak. After many months of experimenting I decided on -10db for our productions. Partially because -10pk/-20rms was TV compliance at the time (and before). For my own experimentation, -10pk is the limit to making the plastic housing on devices vibrate enough to induce an unattractive rattle from said device. -6db is too loud for talking IMO. Coincidentally, I settled on podcast format levels around the time podcast levels were (re)defined in late 2015, which is -10db pk/ -18db rms.

Finding a good DAW meter for levels is not easy, especially with new designs looking more like software than hardware emulations.

Wow, so last night I visited the Myasnikov site for the first time. He is pretty close to me, I am putting some orders in!

Leon Todd likes this.
  2. ctreitzell

ctreitzell Member

I just bought a Rock Master because of this video and @jaykay73 suggesting it a couple months back.

Jimmy, what were you monitoring on? I thought the opposite when I first heard this @Leon Todd comparison video. That first time I viewed I was listening to headphones (Beyer DT770 250ohm) through an ipad and the Rock Master sounded fantastic and the Piranha sounded weak and like I said before, the TriAxis clean was invisible; the JMP-1 is just not for me.

Then, a couple weeks later I showed my missus Leon's video and we listened on some old Sony speakers that we use for our projector viewing audio support and, lo and behold, we both agreed with what you said you heard: Piranha sounds pretty darn good and the Rock Master just disappears (I felt the same as I said before about the others).

Too late for me, Rock Master is en route.

After a couple sessions noodling with this Rock Master, one thing's for sure: it's a Peavey...It can sound really similar to my little Rage 158 if not careful...but the clean channel, I really, really like. I did notice my Byrdland PUs sound much nicer than my Heartfield with higher gain...and I don't have a tube power amp...I got an inkling to try a Myasnikov power amp.

Leon Todd likes this.
  3. Lumpy Trousers

Lumpy Trousers Member

Nice job on the video! It's great to watch something well done instead of a poorly lit iPhone video of a guy in shorts just sort of fumbling around. Damn, this makes me wish I hadn't sold my TriAxis.

Leon Todd and ctreitzell like this.
  4. ctreitzell

ctreitzell Member

Did you check out the @Leon Todd YT channel? Leon is prolific! I spent a couple hrs watching last week. Leon, keep it up, sir! very inspirational