• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

6" right angle patch with one plug facing the other way?

Shiny_Beast

Gold Supporting Member
To go from top jack to side jack. Does anyone make something like this? I like the beefy 6" cables, but they are too stiff to twist around comfortably and it chafes my OCD.

jaymeister

it chafes my OCD.
Interesting...are you saying that a cable is wearing away a powder coat finish?

Anyway...this problem initially prompted me to buy a soldering station and start making my own. Another option is to try the solderless kits.

Clark GriswoId

Looks Great. Little Full, Lotta Sap.
Silver Supporting Member
DIY. Its rewarding, easy, and your OCD will thank you.

Or George Ls- super easy as well

Shiny_Beast

Gold Supporting Member
Interesting...are you saying that a cable is wearing away a powder coat finish?
no, just being funny, it bothers me though to see the short cable all twisted and bent out of shape.

solder-less is out, way out, not for me lol. I could make my own, I have a couple like that for home, but I like the uber rugged ones for the gig bag. All the assembled cables I have it's just a matter of time before I have to take them apart and fix them. The ones I have with "integrated ends" for lack of a better term, have rarely if ever failed.

Shiny_Beast

Gold Supporting Member
Not sure if this is the exact cable, but I like the ones like this. They seem to last forever and a day. IF they just sold them with one reverse head.

jaymeister

no, just being funny, it bothers me though to see the short cable all twisted and bent out of shape.

solder-less is out, way out, not for me lol. I could make my own, I have a couple like that for home, but I like the uber rugged ones for the gig bag. All the assembled cables I have it's just a matter of time before I have to take them apart and fix them. The ones I have with "integrated ends" for lack of a better term, have rarely if ever failed.
Yeah, I've never tried solderless. I took electronics in high school and learned to solder...that skill has probably saved me thousands in one way or another over the years. I really like these...super bullet proof when done right.

S. S. Bender

For best flexibility in utilizing assembled cables with right angle plugs, solder one end connector half-way between the two opposing extremes shown in the picture below. (One plug end would be laying on it's side, and the other plug end would be standing straight up) It has always worked best for me...

Shiny_Beast

Gold Supporting Member
maybe I should take another stab and DIY at 6" cables for "the road". I always have a spare anyhow. I've got a box full of those pancake plugs and the local shop sells decent wire.

Last edited:

ummohyeah

I've ordered those six packs of Hosa 6" patch cables with pancake jacks, they come with a few that have the reverse angle going on.

Also like Frankee said, you can just twist it. If the cable itself is thin enough it will stay that way. Thicker cables obviously won't twist as easily.

Shiny_Beast

Gold Supporting Member
I use the thin ones you can twist at home but they don't survive being pulled in and out of the gig bag over and over.

That covenant site looks interesting. They have a coily on sale and a free 3ft give away going on right now. They say their coily is light, it looks like it might actually stretch a bit too. I'll never understand coily cables that are too stiff to stretch out more than 6", like wtf?

Shiny_Beast

Gold Supporting Member
covenant had a couple and I wanted to try their coily so done. I hate paying $20 shipping for a $66 order but what the hell.

I think though in the future I'll make them myself and wrap rubber tape around where the barrel meets the cable.

Thanks for the input.

jpuva

If you search for Castline cables on reverb, they offer pre-made cables using pancake plugs in either standard or S-type (offset). I ordered a bunch and they've been solid. Good prices if you buy the multiple packs.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom