6 screw tremolo vintage spacing or modern

bullet69

I’m building a parts caster. Musikraft neck. MJT body and I’m trying to decide between a vintage string spacing bridge (2-7/32)or the modern spacing (2-1/16). I have a 2006 Highway 1 which has modern spacing . It doesn’t bother me and the E strings aren’t too close to the outside of the neck. But curiosity has me wondering about the vintage spacing. Any reason to go with the wider spacing or should I just stick with what I know. You know if it ain’t broke don’t fix it.

Rod

Tone is Paramount
Silver Supporting Member
The modern spacing will bring in both E strings less close to the edge. Much better controlling bending and vibrato, if you do that on guitar. More like Gibson spacing.....

Garrett Bagby

Depends. Is the body already drilled for the mounting screws? The two bodies I've gotten from them came pre-drilled for 2 7/32.

If that's the case, Wilkinson and Kluson both make bridges with 2 7/32 mounting, but 2 1/8 string spacing.

I personally like 2 1/16 for the closer string spacing and room on the fretboard edges, so I'd be inclined to go for that if it's an option.

Trending Topics