6-Screw Vintage Style Trem vs. 2-Point Modern Style trem

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by 9-Pin, Jun 4, 2008.

1. 9-Pin

9-Pin Member

I have a SSH MIM strat that I am planning to modify to be a more modern strat than my Cray Sig model. I was going to drill out a couple of the mounting holes and use a Wilkinson 2-point trem.

Then while on Mojo's site I saw the VS400 and VS401. They are essentially the same bridge, but one is two-point and the other is 6-screw. Would I notice a difference in feel if I went with the 6-screw over the 2-point?

I want a silky and solid feel. Similar to the Floyd equipped axe I had, but without the added hassle of the locking nut and fine tuners.

thanks,
    9-Pin

2. testing1two

testing1two Gold Supporting Member

The two point trem is definitely the right choice based on your description. However, if the body of your guitar is already drilled for the 6 screw type, I wouldn't try to convert it to a 2 post. There are more variables to consider than just the two post holes. It would be best to pick up a strat body that's pre-drilled for the 2-post or just use a quality 6 screw bridge on your existing body (see Callaham or Gotoh 510TS).

3. c_mac

c_mac Member

Here we go. Here come the guys claiming that they can hear a difference between a 6 screw and 2 point trem through a cranked Marshall Super Lead.

4. testing1two

testing1two Gold Supporting Member

Nonsense, the basis of my recommendation is based on the original poster being accustomed to the feel of a Floyd Rose, which is a far cry from a 6 screw vintage trem. Please feel free to disagree, but at least offer up a reason so we can all benefit.

Let's keep these threads on track!

5. Tone_Terrific

Tone_Terrific Member

You are not just looking at an overdrill and drop in solution.:nono
    There wouldn't even be enough wood to securely mount the 2 pivot screws or inserts using your proposal. Measure twice cut once...if you're lucky.:AOK

6. 9-Pin

9-Pin Member

Thanks guys.

And Testing1two is right. I am not concerned so much with the tonal change as I am with the feel of the two different units. If there is a solid smooth feel that I can get from a 6-screw trem that would be much easier for me to install.

Tone - if this is not as simple as just drilling out a couple of holes, and that won't be solid, I think I will just look for a 6-screw trem that will get me what I am looking for.

7. Eagle1

Eagle1 Member

A good local tech will not charge you much to drill the mounting post holes if you take him a stripped down body and neck .A six screw body can be easily converted to a Floyd or a Two post (Gotoh ,Wilk,etc.)

8. Dickie Fredericks

Dickie Fredericks Member

You mean you dont? LOL J/K

Its a preference thing for me. I like the 6 screws. If I want a 2 point on my Strat Id put a Floyd on it. I just dont dig the 2 points on a Strat. But hey. to each his own. Do what you like and then play the hell out of it.