• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!

6-way toggle in Gibson Jimi Page Guitar?!?

MikeMcK

Gold Supporting Member
Easier said than done. Especially if the source is under contract to supply the parts directly to Gibson only.

-Austin
Hey Austin, I'd bet you have a friend somewhere who is an authorized Gibson repair person. They'd be able to either get you the part or cross-reference it to something commercially available, I'd bet.

JSeth

Looks cool - hope it's not like the 6 position switch in my ES-345... that thing just SUCKED the signal from the pup's - my output was 2/3 of my band mate's Les Paul... I finally just had a guy yank the thing out of there! Put a mini-toggle "by-pass" that feeds the output straight to the amp, w/ no vol or tone pots in the loop, kind of gives another 3-5% and you can use it like vol presets...

you could accomplish the same thing on any three pick-up LP Custom with a push/pull pot on one of the tone controls (Neck pick-up tone is a favorite one to use for this) and use the other tone control, bridge, as a master tone - then the standard three-way switch would give you the six different modes depending whether the push/pull was up or down. Same end results with readily available parts - it does take some of the drama out of nicking a gibson part, but you'd be done and playing the guitar.

amc

Paul Reed Smith needs to get access to the 6-way toggle to retrofit
all the guitars he built that have the 5-way rotary.

I've thought about this switch since I got my first PRS in February 1986.
This is a must have to take the place of PRS' rotary.

I just wish that I invented it.

atquinn

Silver Supporting Member
you could accomplish the same thing on any three pick-up LP Custom with a push/pull pot on one of the tone controls (Neck pick-up tone is a favorite one to use for this) and use the other tone control, bridge, as a master tone - then the standard three-way switch would give you the six different modes depending whether the push/pull was up or down. Same end results with readily available parts - it does take some of the drama out of nicking a gibson part, but you'd be done and playing the guitar.
True, anything you could do with the 6-way toggle could be done with a 3-way toggle and a push-pull switch, but it seems to me that the 6-way would be a much more ergonomic solution. Push-pull switches are a pain in the @ss, especially with the types of knobs used on most Gibson-style guitars, and the 6-way would let you get everything done in one spot, not 2.

-Austin

dayn

Silver Supporting Member
There are about 10 of them on eBay. Get a dealer to take a pic of the inside of the 6-way switch cavity so we can see how it works and if there are any codes or other markings.

Frater B

Can you get the middle pickup alone,
Or all 3 ON, so 7 options?

Maybe in the middle + bridge or middle + neck
depending on which one the middle pickup is wired to,
don't know about all 3 though

atquinn

Silver Supporting Member
The 6-way is, functionally, just a mini-switch wired to turn the middle pickup on connected to the traditional 3-way. So, you would not be able to get the middle pickup alone without manipulating the bridge or neck pickup volumes (assuming they are wired to be independent). However, the "alternate" version of the middle position (neck+bridge) would be the "all on" setting (neck+bridge+middle).

-Austin

dayn

Silver Supporting Member
Anyone source this yet?

Can any of you electronics wiz-types make one?

santellavision

Gold Supporting Member
The source is NSF Controls in the UK. It's called the 'Free Way' switch. A few guys have already asked, and they will not sell the switch, they said it's proprietary to Gibson.

The source is NSF Controls in the UK. It's called the 'Free Way' switch. A few guys has already asked, and they will not sell the switch, they said it's proprietary to Gibson.

the problem with it being proprietary to Gibson is what happens when a switch goes bad? would I then have to call Gibson and show proof of ownership before they send me a new one?

headstack

I know I am dredging up a reeeaaaalllly old thread, but Stewart Macdonald sells these on their website.

stewmac.com

Lots of parts for building stringed instruments guys and girls!!

Have fun,

John Chase

Trending Topics