'60 Les Paul Classic..Pickup Help !!

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Kidchigger, May 6, 2008.

1. Kidchigger

Kidchigger Member

Hello..I have a 2001 '60 Les Paul Classic reissue with the stock uncovered
    humbuckers. I'm finding the tone a bit aggressive for me..tough to go clean.
    I've read where people don't like the Classic's pickups..I know it's rather subjective but is there something there ? Any suggestions ? Would covers help ?
    I played a 2005 Les Paul DC that had a nice tone..for me..airy and a little hairy. Could that be the difference between a chambered and unchambered body ? Any help would be appreciated.
    Thanks.

2. jaevee14

jaevee14 Member

I've heard a lot of people complain about the pickups in the Classic being too aggressive and harsh. The pickups in the DC you played were probably Burstbuckers. Those don't get great reviews but people seem to like them more than the Classic p'ups (I forget what they're called, there are numbers involved, 490T, is that it?).

As for suggestions on what p'ups to put in, people seem to like what Wagner is putting out. Also, you hear Lollar Imperials getting a lot of praise.

3. Kelsey

Kelsey Member

The stock ceramic pickups in the LP Classic are hot and aggressive. I replaced the ones in my '99 LP Classic with a set of Seymour Duncan 59s. I tried Antiquity HBs first, but they were too weak and muddy sounding in my guitar. The 59s have a good balance and very nice tone, all at a very nice price.

4. Kidchigger

Kidchigger Member

Thanks for the help..I'll do some research. I have a steep learning curve
    with Humbuckers. I've always played single coils.
    Anyway, thanks again !

5. kram21

kram21 Member

i rec gibson classic 57 hmb's

6. JumpMarine

JumpMarine Supporting Member

I'd recommend a set of Seymour Duncan Seth Lovers or Antiquities. Can't go wrong with a nice set of WCR Fillmore's if you are willing to spend a bit more.

7. sqadan

sqadan Member

+1 on the 57 Classics - I had a Les Paul Classic way back and hated the stock pups... Rplaced them with the 57s and was totally satisfied. Very smooth balanced tone - not harsh at all. Really warm.

8. ibenhad

ibenhad Member

I think the burstbuckers sound real good. I have a Les Paul with a JB in the bridge and a Jazz in the neck and they sound pretty good to. Trial and error. Try watching some pickup vids on youtube. At least get an idea. Good luck. Get a plain old PAF pro they clean up nice.

9. Blue4Now

Blue4Now Gold Supporting Member

I replaced the stock ceramic pickusp in my 07 Classic with a set of Gibson 57 Classics. Perfect match for this guitar. I have no need to look any further.

10. cvansickle

cvansickle Supporting Member

I have a 97 LP Classic that I bought used a couple years ago. The previous owner changed the stock ceramics to Lindy Fralin 8k/9k pickups. When I first played it, I couldn't believe it was a Classic - they had NEVER sounded that good before!

11. Jack Dotson

Jack Dotson Supporting Member

Burst bucker all the way. The new LP Standard's with these P/U's sound awesome IMO.

12. Kidchigger

Kidchigger Member

How about the idea of adding pickup covers ? Does that change tone/gain
    much ?
    Thanks again.

13. clothwiring

clothwiring Supporting Member

I put Peter Florance Voodoo Humbucker 59s in mine. Great tone.