60 watts from a pair of 6L6's ???

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Gary Shetler, Feb 27, 2006.

1. Gary Shetler

Gary Shetler Guest

I've got a Fender Blues DeVille Reissue - 4x10 combo - and the Fender website says that it's a 60 watt amp ?? It's got 3 - 12AX7's and a pair of 6L6 tubes .. that's it. It's running into 4 Eminence Alnico speakers at 4 ohms.

Can a pair of 6L6's really put out 60 watts, or is this just some kind of marketing thing?

Thanks for any insight you might have ......

:confused:

2. amper

amper Member

30 W is the maximum plate dissipation rating for the 6L6GC. As to whether that particular amplifier actually runs them at that level is another question...

3. redjet55

redjet55 Member

at 20%+ distortion maybe....

They’re probably using peak power as they’re rating, certainly not rms at 1% distortion :lol:

back in the old days, in fact even now 2 6l6’s were a max of about 40 watts.

4. Mark Kane

Mark Kane Silver Supporting Member

Hey Gary, Crankkk it uppp!!!:dude

5. ericb

ericb Silver Supporting Member

Hey there, I have a Whitney amp that uses a bunch of tubes and its specs say 60 watts at 2 6l6gc's too. It spec's at 50 Watts for 2 kt66's, 5881's ,or el34's. Btw, I've used the 4x10 Blues Deville or Hot Rod Deville , and it's plenty loud for sure. The 1st channel is KILLER and loud ...

ERIC

6. Shea

Shea Member

This datasheet shows a pair of 6L6GCs putting out 55 watts at only 1.8% THD, with a plate voltage of 450 and a screen voltage of 400:

[​IMG]

Shea

7. billdurham

billdurham Member

I think duty cycle comes into play here too. When the signal source is pretty much a square wave...its almost a 100% thing. I understand what you are saying OTM, I'm a ham myself, but voice over a ham rig isn't distorted..so you are running close to the max when the signal getting to the finals is really squared off.

BD

8. Matt H

Matt H Guest

from memory, the blues deville is rated on the fender schematic at like 58W @ fairly low THD.

it also runs the plate voltage up near 500V with the screens not so far.

it's definitely feasible... with efficient speakers, this amp is extremely loud.

9. Gary Shetler

Gary Shetler Guest

WOW!! Thank, you, one and all ...... I've definately learned something!

Like redjet55 says, I'm used to seeing 2x6L6 amps rated at 30 watts or so. So, the 60 watt rating seemed pretty far fetched.

Mark ... I don't wanna "Crankkk it upppp" ... my old ears ain't what they used to be, and there's too much glass around here :)

Again, thanks to all who took the time to reply. I've definately learned a thing or two .... is this a great place, or what ??

10. amper

amper Member

I'm beginning to wonder just how many hams there are around here at The Gear Page...

73 de KC2OOS