$600-$700 strats--What are my best options?

wrxplayer

Silver Supporting Member
I'm doing some downsizing. Will be looking at buying a strat in the area of $600 or so. Currently a used G&L legacy is at the top of my list. What else should I look at? There are so many Fender strats that I get confused. Am not familiar with most of the non-fender models.

XKnight

I'd say you can't go wrong with a used G&L in good condition. Plenty of used MIA Strats in that price range as well, but I think you get better quality and better pups with a G&L.

slider313

Gold Supporting Member
You can find a used American Series Strat for $700. on ebay. They turn up often for that price.

KeithC

Silver Supporting Member
Assuming you don't want a Mexi strat a used HWY1 is a good deal usually.
The mexi Cray and Jimi Vaughan strats are nice too.

sqadan

Used American Standards come in around that price point... and +1 on the G&Ls... very good deal used.

FastFret

Used Am Standard, as others said, or even pre-SCN (pickups) Am Deluxe for ~700 if you are really patient - they do pop up on ebay once in a while, you just need to wait.

jamison162

Used US G&L Legacy
Used Fender John Mayer
Used or possibly New Fender MIJ (Made in Japan)

Ebay my friend.

joesnewmatch

Music Is My Soul Food
Silver Supporting Member
'50s Classic Player or '60s Classic Player -- I am suggesting the Classic Player, not the Classic, which has vintage frets, etc. The Classic Players have amazing bang for the buck.

Zexcoil

Vendor
Personally, I'd go for low serial number "player" JV Strat (if you can find one), the oldest Tokai you can find for the price, or a used Edwards signature (the ones with no logo on the headstock).

tastylicks

For that money I don't think you can do any better than a used G&L Legacy. Everything stock: pickups sound great, playability is wonderful, absolutely an excellent guitar. I picked up a 2000 model in exc condition for $525 about 9 months ago. An absolute steal and I couldn't be happier with it.

joesnewmatch

Music Is My Soul Food
Silver Supporting Member
I hear you can get decent deals on the Classic Players at GC, new, or you can always look for used ones even cheaper...

jrm

I got a sweet highway one, made in America, sunburst, rosewood fretboard, etc.... for $380 while GC was blowing them out a few months ago. You still might be able to find one if you scour around!

Trending Topics

Top Bottom