600 dollar delay budget... what should I do?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by dcoffman, Feb 27, 2012.

Which one?

1. Strymon Timeline

2. Analogman Ardx20 w amazeo

3. Jhs Panther

4. Memory lane

5. couple different smaller pedals

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. dcoffman

dcoffman Member

Hey guys, so Ive got a mljr been using it for a while but im bored with it and its time for an upgrade... I use delays for ambiance and background stuff, .8ths, as well as heavier delays w/ longish repeats.

Currently thinking of:
    Timeline
    Analogman ardx20 w amazeo
    Jhs panther (heard these could be hard to use live)
    Memory lane

or possibly getting a few different little pedals such as a malekko 616 and a flashback or cc and maybe investing in a bluesky?

any advice would be awesome!

2. Hey_wilson

Hey_wilson Member

Timeline definitely. Get it new and use the leftover money for a MIDI controller thingy. Cant go wrong unless you dont want to wait but youll pay more

3. Goodwood Audio

Goodwood Audio Member

Do you want massive amounts of tweak-ability?
    Timeline.

Do you want analog goodness?
    Memory Lane.

4. Abandoned

Abandoned Member

That's funny - I just made a thread like this just a little bit ago! Here's all the input I got:

http://www.thegearpage.net/board/showthread.php?t=1015421

I personally don't think you can upgrade from a ML JR... it's one of the best delays out there, unless what you meant by upgrading is adding to that pedal.

The Timeline would be a great partner to the ML JR though.

5. thesooze

thesooze Member

I just love my Timeline so much. I would, of course, recommend it. :aok

6. ISIS

ISIS Member

I say ya get a dan echo electric guitar pedal there. Ya go to Guitar center, talk to a nice gentlewoman, tell her ya want yourself a dan echo, and there ya go sonnyboy. Then ya take your lady and hit the night on the town, find yourself a nice steak dinner. Get the porterhouse they the best meat, I remember when I took besty down for a nice steak dinner we had such a great time, the waiters name was tod, if ya live in South Dakota go to the apple bees and ask for Tod he will get ya the good stuff. Then after that we went to that there cold stone creamery and got us a ice cream treat just me and my gal.

7. stamper

stamper Member

^^What an awesome first post^^

8. oxtone

oxtone Member

TC Flashback has a killer Modulation Delay, for those atmospheric sounds.

I have that, and recently got the TC IB Modified Nova Delay from Pro Guitar Shop, and the two together is ambient/atmospheric heaven!

9. AD_

AD_ Member

Your budget is $600? The Diamond Memory Lane 2 is $500, but is top notch quality. The predominant vote in your poll is the Strymon Timeline. I've had a Strymon product in the past, their reverb pedal. No doubt they make great products. I don't think you can go wrong with either of these as a choice.

Strymon Timeline: Very well-made digital rendition of analog delay, with very versatile features. Good company, good customer support, innovative products

Diamond Memory Lane 2: Best analog delay available today. Quality components, quality workmanship, very good customer support. ~550msec delay max, but it is a thing of beauty.

10. dcoffman

dcoffman Member

thanks guys, anyone ever use the ardx20? ive heard its awesome and its analog but can almost be controlled like a digital pedal withe the amazeo only difference is the shorter delay times.

I might just end up going for the timeline I just dont know if I need all of that...

thanks abandoned.... oh and isis, I just took my lady out last night lol thanks for the advice though!

11. lemmiwinks

lemmiwinks Member

That's sums it all up, pretty well.

12. Abandoned

Abandoned Member

You more than likely don't & won't need all that, like a lot of others. But if you find you like and need even a few of the available modes, combined with limitless presets, it's worth it.
    In the end for me I really only ended up really using and/or liking 2, and I decided I liked a more simple delay setup as my bread and butter delays.

The timeline is seriously very cool though and easily worth it even if you can truly utilize a 1/4 of what it offers.

13. PLAYLOUD

PLAYLOUD Member

TC Nova Repeater and save your money.

14. xgoredeathx

xgoredeathx Member

You need to get a freakin tuner is what you need to do! ;)

15. zztomato

zztomato Supporting Member

I think if the MLjr bores you then you are probably a tweaker by nature so I'd go with a Timeline and have done with it. I have a MLjr and love it for its simplicity and very analogish sound. I've also had the big ML and kinda prefer the Jr. Timeline has seemed to pass the flavour of the month test at this point though so seems like a solid delay.

16. Yunpac

Yunpac Member

NBA ACTION IS FAN-TASTIC!:banana:drink

17. 8strings0hair

8strings0hair Member

While ISIS' reply is hard to beat, along those lines I'd say maybe wait for the Way Huge Supa Puss.
    Shouldn't be too long a wait, and it should be comparable to the Memory Lane (which I adore) at a lower price point, and you can then indeed take your lady out with the money saved. :)

18. JubileeMan 2555

JubileeMan 2555 Member

ECHOPLEX

a healthy EP3 will cost a bit less then $600 and would be the best delay you've ever played. Remember 90% of all delays are just TRYING to copy what this unit does naturally.

19. theroan

theroan Member

Timeline and Carbon Copy

20. Footbutt

Footbutt Supporting Member

exactly. i waited for my ordered Timeline from Strymon and i'm waiting on my MIDI controller. both are worth the wait and money, in my opinion.

TL: $461 (after shipping)
    DMC-3XL: $169
    $630 total, but for ALL of my delay needs, i'll be happy for a VERY long time.
    if i went with a Memory Lane Jr ~$220, an El Capistan $300 (~$520 total), i'd still need a looper with 1/2 speed.

so yeah, for me it was a no-brainer. your financial situation and patience might play a different role, but try to stick with your choices (when you do make them) and be happy.