• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

$600 to spend...interface + monitoring for my AxeFX / Macbook

SouthernShred

Silver Supporting Member
Help?

:)

I thought about grabbing a Duet & some Beyer DT770 Pro headphones...or some Behringer Truth 2030A monitors ($279) and an interface of some sort.

I'd like something that plays nice with my Macbook (white) & my AxeFX and will get me laying down tracks in Garageband or Logic or Cubase quickly. Can be rackmountable or not...I will be using the interface for vocals at some point too.

Shannon

Last edited:

dash_doc

Hard to go wrong with the Duet IMO. Definitly plays nice with a Mac. I'm using one with Logic and an i-Mac and couldn't be happier.

LSchefman

I have the DT-770 Pros, and find them useful for tracking. However, they have a bit heavy low end. So just be prepared for that. Good for tracking, because you can follow the kick and bass without cranking the volume to ear splitting levels.

Not as good for mixing, tho mixing with cans is not a good idea anyway.

Depending on what you're recording, the Duet may even be overkill, though it's a nice box to be sure for the money.

SouthernShred

Silver Supporting Member
I'm just planning on tracking my stereo AxeFX signal and my vocals, not at the same time...

Any recommendations on another interface besides the Duet?

acwild

I'm using a 12 channel firewire mixer and M-Audio monitors with my Mac and AxeFx. The mixer is great as it also has phantom power for condenser mics, a headphone jack, additional channels for other instruments, etc... It also has it's own soundcard. Jmho.

claudel

Silver Supporting Member
I bought a Duet to use with my iMac/AxeFX

The lack of digital I/O became an issue when I wanted to try reamping.

I got a MOTU Traveler that sits in the rack with the Axe. Convenient. Less cabling.

Plenty of digital and analog I/O plus built in MIDI.

I'm pretty sure I like the sound of the MOTU as much as the Duet, but the Traveler has the Black Lion audio upgrades installed.

Some folks are using the stock Traveler with good results, check the Axe forum.

My Duet will be up for sale when I get around tuit.

c94123

I own both a Duet and an AxeFX. I owned the Duet first and it was perfect for what I needed. I'd record one track of guitar at a time into Garageband or Logic Express. If I did vocals, they would be done one at a time as well. Worked flawlessly with my Mac and the various software, extremely portable and sounded great. Very simple, plug and play. No issues with recommending the Duet to anyone.

After I got my AxeFx I was able to record from the AxeFx into the Duet no problem as well. However, there are a few short comings of this setup. 1) No digital in on the Duet. 2) I use the AxeFx editor to change patches, update firmware, etc. For that I needed another midi box. 3) The more recording I've done, there were times it would have been nice to have additional ins/outs. A friend let me borrow his MOTU 828mkIII. Everything I wanted in one box and more for just a little more dough then the Duet. Fits in the rack with the Axe, handles the midi and allows for a significant number of additional ins/outs. I personally didn't notice a significant change in sound quality - others may feel differently. If you use the AxeFX editor, consider something that can handle the midi as well and having the digital connections is great as well. I'm in the market now for an 828 or a Traveler - both real nice units.

Trending Topics