• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

60s/70s Acid Causualties

L0ki

Gold Supporting Member
Not fatalities just very very Experienced.

Listening to The Piper at the Gates of Dawn and Saucerful of Secrets obviously made me think of Syd Barrett and his quick decline which led me to Peter Green and the tough times he had in the ‘70s.

Both of them used WAY too many psychedelics and had mental breakdowns (schizophrenia) then leaving the music biz at least for a while. So sad.

Who else fits this profile?

L0ki

Gold Supporting Member
I knew a guy who had a bad trip at a Grateful Dead New Years show, even falling off the balcony into the seats below.... 5 years on and he would just mumble, ramble, and chuckle with a wild eyed look. He was renamed Billy Babbles

StompBoxBlues

Not fatalities just very very Experienced.

Listening to The Piper at the Gates of Dawn and Saucerful of Secrets obviously made me think of Syd Barrett and his quick decline which led me to Peter Green and the tough times he had in the ‘70s.

Both of them used WAY too many psychedelics and had mental breakdowns (schizophrenia) then leaving the music biz at least for a while. So sad.

Who else fits this profile?
I’m not so sure you can reasonably draw that conclusion.

I and my buddies took many psychedelics, (LSD, Psilocybin, etc.) in the seventies at around 15 years old and for some years after.

I’m glad I did it. And so are my friends. We have remained friends since the seventies, good friends, and the experiments we did with psychedelics were actually a gift. It’s slightly a cop out (Using 60’s and 70’s slang) in that “enlightenment“ (by Puritan work ethics which we grew up with as part of our upbringing) shouldn’t be that easy, and honestly, we weren’t looking for enlightenment at all but it did somewhat happen anyway.

My best buddy and I have often remarked that we don’t think we ever will go “crazy” because we tripped and learned to handle weird thoughts. Also, apparently none of us had a underlying psychic problem. No bad chemicals in our brains. Except the ones we introduced.

I can’t really relate the experiences, and it has been a long time, but one feels connected to everything, in a wonderful way, and maybe most surprising, can find beauty in things we generally would consider ugly, like cigarette butts in an ashtray, etc.

people that tend to be innovative and Avante Garde, and that are drawn to the arts often have something different in them that can be seen as a problem, or a gift.

At 16 or 17 or so I was in my first band. We arranged to have a tape recorder and mixer with some semi-professional folk to record some of our songs.

just before we started a version of “love me please” a great blues sing I don’t know the origin of, I told the bass player “I just took some LSD, and it’s kicking in” and he called me an a-hole and was passed off.
Turned out to be one of the coolest, most soulful solos I’ve ever done. I can still hear it today. It was just perfect. After we were done he was like “well, that worked out well”.

I haven’t even smoked pot now in decades, and yet I’m so glad and still can recall my experiences (unlike my experiences with alcohol) 50 years later, in detail.

my personal experience has been it was a good thing, but if I had suffered from some kind of psychosis I’m sure it would have been a different experience.

You might be able to consider Garcia an acid casualty. He certainly did his share, and his enlightenment might have lead him to chasing a greater high. Like Heroin, which ultimately lead to his demise. Before he passed though, he was a shell of his former self as a musician, and still pretty young.

L0ki

Gold Supporting Member
And I’ve wondered if too much can help trigger schizophrenia and the like?

I’m absolutely not implying that ‘some’ acid leads to illness….. I’ve enjoyed some myself and consider it a gift of sorts.
Trying to tune my guitar by ear didn’t work so well, though

L0ki

Gold Supporting Member
You might be able to consider Garcia an acid casualty. He certainly did his share, and his enlightenment might have lead him to chasing a greater high. Like Heroin, which ultimately lead to his demise. Before he passed though, he was a shell of his former self as a musician, and still pretty young.
And Bobby, too, he just never stopped playing. My friend met him while working at a nightclub (late ‘80s /early ‘90s and said he was lead around everywhere by his manager (?) and had a sort of bewildered stare the whole time. My friend is a HUGE fan of his so it wasn’t meant as disparagement.

derekd

Gold Supporting Member
Lsd doesn't trigger anything - nor do mushrooms - people who go wonky were going to go wonky regardless. Now LSD probably didn't help - but it doesn't damage the brain like people tend to think.
That's why I asked, which comes first? Were they self-medicating, or did the psychedelic push a genetically vulnerable brain over the edge? The time when most experiement with drug use happens to also be the time when the brain is the most at-risk.

Unless one has done a good bit of research into the neurology of schizophrenia and psychedelics, there are a number of misconceptions and speculation.

I'd be happy to provide links on this topic from the 60s to recent years if interested.

John Quinn

Gold Supporting Member
That's why I asked, which comes first? Were they self-medicating, or did the psychedelic push a genetically vulnerable brain over the edge? The time when most experiement with drug use happens to also be the time when the brain is the most at-risk.

Unless one has done a good bit of research into the neurology of schizophrenia and psychedelics, there are a number of misconceptions and speculation.

I'd be happy to provide links on this topic from the 60s to recent years if interested.

Yes I would like that very much.

derekd

Gold Supporting Member

Trending Topics

Top Bottom